We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

Before our honeymoon we will be in Waikiki from Thursday night to Sunday afternoon. We would like to avoid paying for parking our rental car the last night we are in Waikiki and would like to know if there is a rental company that has an option to drop off your car late (its horrible that they want the car back by 6 or so) Since we will be going around the island those few days we would love to have the car for as late as possible. Is there such a company in Waikiki? Thanks!

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

Really? What are you talking about, $25!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

Yes, its pretty useless for us to pay for parking when we leave in the morning (on a free shuttle), trying to save some money where we can. It was just a question and a simple "No, I'm not aware of any company in Waikiki that offers late night drop off" would have sufficed. Oh and by the way its $35 fee at our hotel. Didn't think it was such an outlandish question since it is fairly common to have after hour drop offs at major cities.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

Who wants the car back by 6? You mean PM? All the rental companies are open late, I think Alamo is open til 1am. Maybe you don't mean at the airport...

Edited: 01 April 2014, 00:06
San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

We were just in Waikiki (not by airport, sorry if I forgot that important detail) and they closed the car rental place at 7 I think and wanted it before then. We rented through the company out of Hyatt Regency. I'm assuming airports have the late drop off since people are leaving at all hours of the day, I was curious if there was a similar company that offered that same possibility (very late drop off) in Waikiki.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

More detail would help. Most are open quite late. But generally your reservation is in 24 hour days and if you want 24 hours plus, say, 6 more, you'll need to pay for the 6.

If you are talking in waikiki, maybe they aren't open late. But if at the airport, they all are. You could drop it there and take the bus back.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

Where will you be staying in Waikiki?

The agency opened latest that I know of is the Budget in the Hyatt Regency, which is open until 9:45 PM.

Yes, there are places that allow after hours drop-off. For some that's pretty much how they work it (like the Dollar in the Hale Koa hotel, and others that close early in the afternoon).

But you will have to check with them as to what rates you are charged and whether you have to pay for the extra day.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

Okay! Thank you for the help! I was hoping to avoid calling multiple companies to see if they have late drop off, but I guess I will have to anyway! Better safe than sorry! I was just wondering if anyone had used a company that allowed the super late drop off. Thanks again for your advice.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

This isn't 100%, but normally you will pay wayyyyyy less for a rental at the airport, even with the airport fees & taxes than you would an off-airport location. Check with Discount Hawaii Car Rental or Costco (if you're a member).

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,492 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

Aloha,

She doesn't want to keep it longer, she wants to turn it in the night before, if I'm understanding her correctly.

OP, there's nothing wrong with wanting to save money where you can.

If you can't find an agency in Waikiki to do this, you can see if you can drop it at the airport without any extra fee. Then take the bus as suggested above. Apparently, you plan to shuttle to Waikiki from HNL, and then rent the car in Waikiki. Is that right?

I am confused a little about the parts about you being in Waikiki till Sun afternoon, but flying out early in the morning. Is your last night at a hotel somewhere else?

Aloha

San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a car rental company that has a 24-hour drop off?

We leave in the morning for an afternoon flight. We are meeting up with friends who fly into Oahu that morning to Waikiki and will be on the flight with us to Kauai that afternoon. We plan on being there very early for our flight so we can catch up before we all head to Kauai (we will be on our honeymoon and aren't sure how much time we will have or want (haha) to spend with friends). The airport sounds like a great idea. We fly in on a Thursday and land about 830pm so we were hoping to get a car the next morning. If we get it that night then that's just fine too. Just looking at different options, nothing is set in stone. Thanks again for the help!