We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

Montreal
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

We will be going to Waikiki for 5 nights in August for our honeymoon and are undecided between the Outrigger Beach Waikiki (seems more reasonably priced) vs the Moana Surfrider (seems more luxurious/honeymoon-worthy, but mixed reviews on TA and pricier).

The rooms we are looking at are: at the Outrigger, either the Deluxe Oceanfront with Spa Tub or the 1 Bedroom Oceanfront and at the Moana, the Tower Deluxe Ocean (concerned whether this actually has a good view of the ocean). Any advice?

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,639 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

The Moana Tower rooms are nice, but is it called a Tower Deluxe Ocean View, or Ocean Front or what? Ocean View might not have a great view, but should have some part of the water visible. Ocean Front should mean directly facing the ocean where you could sit comfortably on your lanai and enjoy the view.

The Outrigger rooms should be directly facing the ocean and would have a great view. May get some noise from Dukes, but for most that is not a problem. We have stayed in both hotels, but always felt like we got better deals at the Outrigger for the money.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,507 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

moana-surfrider.com/roomsandsuites/roomtypes/

This will help you a lot. I think the room you are considering at the Moana Surfrider looks good. The Tower rooms are very large - very nice. I have found them to be very sound-proof as well. These overlook the patio area/Banyan tree -- it's nice to sit on your lanai and enjoy the music.

I could not find a "room map" on line for the Outrigger Waikiki.

The Moana Surfrider is an iconic, beautiful building. The pool, if that is important to you, is a let down ... and it is within the courtyard. The courtyard has the massive banyan tree!

The Outrigger has better pools. Lacks the "style" of the Moana Surfrider. Depending on which room you have - both get noise from Duke's. (That's where the sound-proofing comes in handy!)

I agree with placebets - you can get a better rate at the Outrigger Waikiki. But these are literally within spitting distance from each other. Right next door. So if you want to stay at the Moana Surfrider and eat at the Outrigger Waikiki ... no biggie. If you want to stay at the Outrigger Waikiki and tour the Moana Surfrider or have a drink under the banyan tree ... not a problem

Another hotel to consider is the Outrigger Reef. A bit quieter that the Outrigger Waikiki and the Moana Surfrider - great location on the beach ... and within the same price range.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

I have stayed in OF and a 1 Bedroom Diamond Head view at the Outrigger WOTB and the views were great. I like that hotel and the pool set up by the beach. It is a lively hotel with popular restaurants. Room locations:

https://www.outrigger.com/hotels-resorts/haw…

Edited: 14 April 2014, 00:51
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

I forgot to say we were on a high floor. I would request a high floor at the OWOTB so you are up from the noise of Duke's.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

We love the Outrigger on the Beach. I'd recommend the deluxe ocean view and ask for the highest floor available. Here's a room category diagram:

https://www.outrigger.com/hotels-resorts/haw…

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

The Deluxe Oceanfront rooms have the hottub set up in such a way, that you can open the sliding shutters in the bathroom, and open the drapes you your lanai, and sit in your hottub with a view of the grand pacific. You can't see the beach, and they can't see you, just miles and miles of blue ocean.

missoula montan
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

We just stayed at the outrigger last night. One night before our trip north to turtle bay resort.

One thing to caution you....... The outrigger has a mandatory valet parking of 35$ a day. This made me angry as I had no idea it was mandatory. On the web site is said it has paid parking available. There was a very rude parking attendant and frontdoor Eskimo person that helped us. I think the pool looks small. The hot tub is not available in the evening as it is next to are stair ant " literally". One of our most favorite romantic things to do as a couple at night is to take a not tub before bed. I couldn't believe the stupid location , and it is very small during the day. Maybe 5 people max.

The moana setting is magical. I stayed I. The older rooms years ago. Check out the details and compare ... EspeciLly the resort fee and parking.

I personally think you rare making. Mistake for a honeymoon . I would go to turtle bay resort in a heart beat.

We are here now. It is amazing. Beautifully redone. Views a re great.... There is a bay off to the east of the hotel where they has cabana chairs to rent. A quiet swimming area with snorkling right off the shore. A small beach side restaurant with food and drinks. It's magical. On the other side of the resort are the pools which are large, and the ocean from that side has the enormous waves to watch surfers. The resort offers so many activities. Bikes, stand up paddling , kanoes. Etc.

if you want a hectic feel go Waikiki. The trip affix is car Zy, and there are so many people! Xs quiet and serenity.

The cool thing about Oahu is it is easy to travel around. Perhaps. Do a little of both. Waikiki a few days, north shore a few days.

Good luck.

I've been married now for 29 years. On my honeymoon. I wanted quiet and peace with my husband. Long beach walks etc.

8. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 19:34
Edited: 14 April 2014, 19:34
Dallas
Level Contributor
22,639 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

The Outrigger does NOT charge a resort fee and the Moana charges a resort fee.

The Outrigger website clearly states that valet parking is available for guests and is $35 a day. Quoted from the webite is, "Parking: valet parking only for guests, 35 USD for 24 hours, 1 car per guest room"

The Moana charges $31.41 a day for resort fee, which includes SELFf parking. And it states, "Valet parking available for an additional fee."

The pool at the Outrigger and the pool at the Moana are probably very close to the same size. I agree the hot tub at the Outrigger is very small and not too accessible. But, there is not a hot tub at all at the Moana to the best of my recollection.

So, I agree you should "Check out the details and compare ... EspeciLly the resort fee and parking."

Edited: 14 April 2014, 19:34
Virginia
Level Contributor
677 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outrigger Beach vs Moana - specific rooms

"I personally think you rare making. Mistake for a honeymoon . I would go to turtle bay resort in a heart beat."

I think you are saying they are making a mistake for their honeymoon? By what, staying at Waikiki versus Turtle Bay, or by thinking about Outrigger? Turtle Bay wasn't even mentioned by the OP, which usually means they are planning on Waikiki, which is a very good honeymoon location. I appreciate that you like Turtle Bay, and others here do as well, but typically if someone wants to stay in Waikiki, Turtle Bay is not going to be their top choice--it is a completely different type of location.