We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Options Around the Aulani

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Topic
Food Options Around the Aulani

Hi,

I know there are restaurant/food options on the Aulani property but they don't fit within our budget and some don't have the best reviews. So are there other good choices within walking distance?

Btw this information is for two 66 year olds (both have been to Oahu before but not the Aulani) so nothing too far or strenuous. Basically I'm sharing a car with them but they are more interested in hanging around the hotel while I would like to tour around the island. So I'm worried if I leave at 8a and don't come back until early evening they will be stuck (and possibly bored LoL :).

Thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

No. There simply is not much in Ko'Olina. There is Roy's (a high-end and generally popular restaurant), Monkey Pod (which I think is grossly over-priced for mediocre food - but some rave about the bar); Just Tacos - which is much more than tacos, and I think their food is excellent; and there is a small BBQ place ... and restaurants at the J.W. Marriott. Overall, with the exception of Just Tacos and the BBQ place, the other restaurants in Ko'Olina will be close to the costs at Aulani. There is a place called "Island Country Market" that is an expanded ABC Store with a deli and more food items. www.koolina.com/explore/interactive-map

Monkey Pod and Roy's have websites.

You can drive into the urban sprawl that it Kapolei, about 10 minutes from Ko'Olina, where there are the basic chain restaurants ... and other restaurants as well.

If I were an adult w/o kids, I would not stay in Ko'Olina. Unlike the area around other Disney properties, Ko'Olina is not very "developed" yet. No shopping, few activities.

There are some on this Forum who get really nasty when anyone is honest about the Ko'Olina area ... but I want you and your friends to have a good time. I would stay on another part of the Island - and go visit Aulani.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,375 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

Talk them into touring the island at least a couple of times.

Ko'Olina info:

http://www.koolina.com/

Map:

www.koolina.com/explore/interactive-map

You can change the map to restaurants. Click on: Food & Dining

The green dots will show up, but they are too close together.

So magnify the map. Then click & drag it to where you want. Then click on the green dots.

Several that BLBL mentioned are in Ko'Olina Station & Ko'Olina Center, both across the road from Aulani.

I liked the plate lunches at Hawaiian Bar B Que. Inexpensive & tasty. The only time we went to Ko'Olina was just to stroll the entire length of the lagoons. So Hawaiian BBQ is the only restaurant I tried there.

A list of the restaurants:

http://www.koolina.com/experience/dining

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

Aloha Iceyhotj!

Congrats on your upcoming trip! First question I have is whether you are staying in a hotel room at Aulani or in a DVC Villa? If you are in a villa, even if it was a Studio you would have a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc. If you are in a 1 bdrm villa or larger, you will have a full kitchen. The Island Country Market BLBL mentions would be an option within walking distance to get some breakfast, lunch and snack items.

Sounds like you may have a car, which most of us would recommend, and if so and you staying a week or so, you might want to go into Kapolei where there are regular grocery stores, a great Costco and a large Target store (it's not a "Super Target" but does have some groceries). I much prefer the selection and prices of foodstuffs from these locations. Plus as BLBL and Dusty mention, there are numerous restaurants in the Kapolei area. And the exit to this shopping is less than 10 minutes from Aulani to boot! :-) The map links Dusty gave are very helpful IMO.

I had to chuckle about the "really nasty when anyone is honest" remark above. The reality is that if folks rave about their stay in Ko'Olina they have been accused of "too much Mai Tai", "reading from a script", etc.! LOL!!! So it is refreshing to see such helpful comments given you about your stay. Both BLBL & Dusty know a great deal about Oahu, and are wonderful resources for info about the island. And indeed Ko'Olina is out and away from Honolulu/Waikiki, like many lovely parts of Oahu are. That's just a fact. I have stayed at Aulani, and am returning in a few months for a longer stay before hopping over to Maui for a few weeks. We LOVE Aulani, and I hope your stay is as fabulous as our was!! If you have any questions about Aulani, please feel free to PM me. Happy planning!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,375 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

"The map links Dusty gave are very helpful IMO."

Actually BLBL linked the Ko'Olina interactive map first.

I just expanded it some and added the home page & how to locate the restaurants.

For someone staying at Ko'Olina the http://www.koolina.com/ has a lot of info.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

You are correct, Dusty. And yes, BLBL routinely gives very good map links for info on Oahu. Mahalo!

I do have a question for you Dusty. You mentioned the BBQ place at Ko'Olina Sta/Cntr (not sure which place it's located). I was wondering if it was recently you ate at the BBQ place since I have been reading REALLY bad reviews on it of late. Just curious if there has been a change in quality. We did not try it during our last visit, but would love a convenient place nearby for good BBQ and/or plate lunch when we return in January. :-)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,375 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

It was probably three years ago when I was there. I moved back to Minnesota from Oahu in September 2011. And it was close to six months earlier or so when we went there.

I do not know if there has been a change in quality since then.

It is located in Ko'Olina Center.

The last link in reply #2 has a list of restaurants in each location.

When I lived on Oahu, my favorite restaurants were those that included takeouts especially those with plate lunches. We often bought takeouts & went to a nearby beach.

You may be right about recent reviews being not so good.

yelp.com/biz/ko-olina-hawaiian-bar-b-que-kap…

I think it is still a good option.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

Ko Olina is a lovely place to vacation. Some like the hussle and bussle of Waikiki and others are looking for something more laid back. The area of Kapolei is definitely your 'must haves' shopping area with serveral restaurants and it's only 10 minutes (or less) away. There is also a shuttle around the Ko Olina resort area so your travel companions can get over to Ko Olina station (though it's not a long walk) while you're gone.

There are now enough choices for food I think to keep most people happy. Hit the happy hour at most of the resort restaurants (JW Marriott, Marriott Vacation Club, Moneypod) and you can stay within a reasonable budget for Hawaii. A trip into Kapolei will give you more choices like Zippy's (think Dennys). If you have a mini kitchen or better in your lodging then you're even better off.

Enjoy your vacation and don't miss at least a day in Waikiki and the north shore.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

Thanks for the feedback (pun intended!), Dusty. I was wondering. I LOVE good BBQ, but it is woefully hard to find in FL, believe it or not. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I'm from OK. LOL! When our trip to Aulani gets closer, I will have to check the reviews, or buy something small to share and check it out. :-)

Thanks for the additional info, Myhrse11!

Iceyhotj, when are you guys going to Aulani?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

We have just returned from our 4th visit to Aulani so as you may gather we love the place.

Food wise on-site we really enjoy Ama Ama for dinner, poolside and beach food and beverage is good and this last visit we finally were able to eat at the Olelelo Bar sans kids. The meals there are amazing!

Across the road we always enjoy MonkeyPod - this visit we dined there twice, as well as the Mexican place. The taco place is good and extremely quick.

As Southergirl said there are plenty of places close by - we tend to drive up to Dennys for breakfast or alternatively eat cereal and fruit in our room. Kapolei has plenty of options - we just tried Ruby Tuesdays which opened recently. It is next door to Denny's.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Options Around the Aulani

Aloha Again OP,

Hgsmumma has some great suggestions that we also really enjoyed at Aulani…..having pupu's and drinks at one of the two wonderful lounges at Aulani, either Olelo Room (we liked their pupu's better) or Off the Hook. AND bonus! They BOTH have truly wonderful Hawaiian musicians performing just about every night as well!!

AMA AMA has a bowl of oatmeal with fruit for breakfast that is $8.00, but I swear it will feed at LEAST two very hungry people! And they have a chopped salad with furikake at lunch that is scrumptious!!

I have also seen a lot of Aulani reviews mention eating at either the Starbucks at the nearby Marriott, or the Island Vintage Coffee across the street at Ko'Olina Station. Hope all this helps you know that you have LOTS of options nearby!!!!