We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety questions in HHV area with kids

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
191 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Safety questions in HHV area with kids

How's safety around Hilton HV? To walk to/from restaurants and shops? Any area to avoid, especially in the evening?

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

No real issues. Just use the common sense ones like - don't go down the unlit path, keep a hand on your wallet/purse if there is a crowd of people around you, normal stuff.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

It's fine. What kind of "safety" are you asking about?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,826 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

Never look the timeshare salesmen in the eye and say no to all offers of reduced price tours and luaus and you should survive :)

Edited: 09 May 2014, 01:17
California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

Good one Scott. I was at the Reef last week & luckily they ignored me as I guess I didn't fit the profile, my DH was home in Ca. Then the last day, I got a little comfortable & walked too close to one of their sales people. Didn't look her in the eye though, so managed to quickly get away. :)

Edited: 09 May 2014, 03:36
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,355 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

Waikiki is safe to stroll anywhere during the day & evening.

And as others have said, use common sense.

Don't take valuables with you.

After midnight there may be some opportunity theft problems in some areas of Waikiki. Purse snatching, etc.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

There are a number of homeless people that essentially live on the beach near the HHV and the adjacent marina. But in my observations, they are really harmless and just do their own thing. They certainly don't want to raise any attention from law enforcement. Other than that, the area is a high traffic area with tourists. I wouldn't worry much at all.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

There's also a lot of fast-moving traffic. Be careful crossing the streets.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

Jayre, you are from Chicago as I am, just use your common sense as you would here. Having said that, what age are the kids? If they are responsible "tweens" I wouldnt have a problem with them wandering around the HHV grounds alone as there are employees and security plentiful. Teens and older, obviously no problem. Outside the HHV the majority of areas are fine and I have never felt uncomfortable in any area of the island, but again use common sense! ENJOY...

Chicago
Level Contributor
191 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

13 & 11. We can deal with peddlers and passive homeless people but just don't want any aggression or possible mugging that will traumatize our kids.

10. Re: Safety questions in HHV area with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:17