We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

Hi All,

I am looking for advise on where to stay in Oahu. My wife will be towards the end of her 2nd trimester, and this would be our last opportunity to travel. We will be accompanied by our daughter who is 1.5 yrs old. I would love a place where we could just park ourselves for 6-7 days and relax while taking in the beauty around us.

The priorities for me in terms of accommodation are:

1. Plenty to do within the hotel/resort without having to drive everywhere.

2. Great views from the room itself, with option of dining in.

3. Not having to walk too far to get to the beach and back.

4. Kid friendly place, with kiddie pools and other stuff to keep kid engaged

5. Easy dining options at all sorts of hours

6. SPA facilities onsite for booking stuff like prenatal massage

Nice to have features would be:

1. Daycare option to park the kid while daddy goes snorkeling and mommy gets a massage or just wants to sleep..

Any suggestions would help. We are planning to go immediately after the 4th July weekend and stay for 6 nights at least.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

Hilton Hawaiian Village. Chuck.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

My suggestion, too, has everything on your list, I believe. Going to be super busy in the summer though if that matters. Here are some pics: oyster.com/hawaii/…photos

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,446 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

Your problem will be the age of your daughter. She's too young for any of the kids clubs at most of the hotels. The age at the HHV is 5-12 years. Budget is also a concern. How much do you plan nightly on accommodations?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,124 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

I'd go to Maui with my little one!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

Thank you for the feedback. In terms of budget I want the room to be ideally around $300 a night.

Unfortunately we have already been to Maui and Kuai, Oahu seems to be the next logical choice.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

Aulani would fit most of your requirements BUT it is not in Waikiki, approximately 30mins away and as others have said your child is too young to be left at Aunty's house.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

Oahu is a good choice with the little one. I'm wondering where you've stayed elsewhere in Hawaii that you're basing your resort/kids club/kiddie pool expectations off of though? That's going to limit you greatly. HHV would be a fine choice for the pools, also a spa and several dining choices on site, but in my opinion you could do better dining off property. How much exactly does the 1 1/2 year old do in the pool? Mine just splashed around and let us drag him through the water at that age, but never really lasted longer than 40 mins in the water at a time, so I wouldn't plan my vacation around a kiddie pool for him. You may want to consider someplace like Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki, right on the beach, good dining in both properties, and a short walk too central Waikiki and gads of other shopping and dining. I think Aulani in July would be well out of your $300/nt range.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

Maybe leave your daughter at home with Grandparents and turn this into a "Babymoon"?? Chuck.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

LOL. if leaving my daughter with grandparents was an option, I would have jumped at it. Unfortunately grandparents live in a different country altogether. It's just us living in the bay area with no family close ennough to leave our daughter for a week with.

This is the first time we would be traveling to Hawaii with a kid, so no pre-set expectations really, just hoping others who have travelled with a small kid can guide us. In our last Hawaii trip to Maui (our Babymoon) we stayed at the Sheraton on black rock and enjoyed it a lot!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu in July with 6 month pregnant wife and 1.5 Yr Old kid

fishdiva is correct. Too young for any kids club. But there are babysitting services available.

There is a breakwall that goes from Hyatt Regency to Park Shore Hotel. The ocean is calm there is you want to use it instead of a kiddie pool. Lodging there would be less expensive.

The Honolulu Zoo and Waikiki Aquarium are on that end of Waikiki.