We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"the bus"

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townville, South...
Level Contributor
114 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
"the bus"

Does "the bus" still do a full circle of the island route? Starting and ending at the Ala Moana shopping center? Thanks, Fran

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,014 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "the bus"

Yes, I think they still do. Check out the web-site www.thebus.org

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "the bus"

Unfortunately, for some reason absolutely no one understands....

The bus discontinued its direct circle island/North Shore bus routes a while ago, where you could start and end at Ala Moana Center going in either direction without having to change bus or routing.

Now you have to change buses, I think twice..

If going up the center of the island, you have to catch one to the Wahiawa Transit Center, then one to Weed Circle in Haleiwa, then transfer to the 55 around the North and Windward coasts back to Honolulu. And, in reverse in the opposite direction.

I have not taken the new routing or investigated how much additional time this has added to what was already a prolonged journey.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 22:41
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,388 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "the bus"

Yes, it kind of does!

Used to be you could take the #55 bus counterclockwise and go all the way around on the same bus. The #55 would change it's number to #52 at Turtle Bay Resort, but continue the same direction. (or the #52 the opposite way that changed to #55 but continued the same direction.

Now you have to actually change buses in Haleiwa.

The number 55 bus goes counterclockwise to Haleiwa and turns back in Haleiwa the same way it came to Ala Moana Center.

The number 52 bus goes clockwise to Haleiwa and back to Ala Moana Center the same way it came.

So you will need to get a transfer.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "the bus"

When we have 'done' the bus trip - the transfer is not a problem as you have lots of treats at Haleiwa. Shave ice, morning or afternoon tea or lunch and a wander around the shops or down to the boats.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "the bus"

I have yet to do it, but that's how it was described to me, that you CAN do it, but there are some transfers and waiting involved, it's not really a "Circle Tour" anymore. -suze

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,388 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "the bus"

There is only one transfer needed. So it is still a circle island tour.

Many that take the bus get the 4-day pass for $35.

Some take the bus to tour around the island and make several stops. It would really make for a long day, but doable.

They did revise the timetable for #52 & #55. Used to be about an hour between buses during mid-day (a little more frequent during rush hour).

Now it is about 45 minutes between buses.

So if you make some stops, make sure you know when the next bus will be coming. Or the second bus if you want to stay more than 45 minutes.

7. Re: "the bus"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:16