We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage dilemma

Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage dilemma

Wondering if someone could help with our problem....or maybe provide some insight.

We are planning a short trip to HNL for 3 nights July 31st to Aug 3rd. Considering a 2br, 2ba condo at Illikai. There are 5 in our party. Our flight out is late in the evening on the 3rd. Check-out is at 11a.m.

What do we do with the luggage for the day on the 3rd? No luggage holding available at the Illikai.....at least not from the folks we are renting from. No late check-out available either.

We were considering getting a car for the day just so we have a place to put the luggage! Then came the problem of picking up the car in Waikiki and returning at HNL. That may cost more.

So now, we are considering having a car for the entire stay. Parking fees (plus where would we park?) and rental will add up but then so will the cost of moving us around (especially for 5 of us). The cost of shuttling us back and forth from HNL plus getting around for 3 days.

Thoughts anyone? Past experience? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage dilemma

Any chance you can just rent the condo for the last day? It's often more cost efficient and will solve the problem with a late flight.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,060 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage dilemma

Your best option is getting your condo for an extra day. If that isn't possible there is a storage company that is close to the airport. I've heard good things about them. It's not a good idea to travel around the island with luggage in your car. I would go ahead and find out how much parking is at the Ilikai.

http://www.alohaairportdeliveryandstorage.com

Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage dilemma

We did consider that mamma. An extra day with taxes is $256.41. The car rental is $132 in total plus gas plus parking. With the extra night at the condo we would still need to get to and from the airport and around. Is it starting to cost the same either way? We even considered the option of renting a hotel for that last day!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,347 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage dilemma

For only 3 nights, rent the car for the entire time.

There is alternative less expensive parking in the area.

Ala Wai Yacht Harbor lot is about $1 an hour for overnight parking. Ilikai Marina is less expensive that Ilikai

discounthotelshawaii.com/wkkparking.html

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage dilemma

Priceline a hotel for the last day ... you can probably get one cheap. Although for the hassle, I'd probably just rent the car. Three days isn't long and if you are going anywhere at all outside of Waikiki, you are just wasting time waiting on transport.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
279 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage dilemma

I'd rent somewhere else. I'm having that same problem and I'm just going to stay somewhere that can hold my luggage. I turned down a condo for that exact reason. I don't want to be worrying about that the last day on my vacation. Or you can rent a place for a day really cheap that has luggage storage. Even if you can't check in until 3pm or at all, at least you have a place to store you luggage until you leave. If you do get to check in later at least you can get a shower in. I'd call first before booking that.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage dilemma

Hi, try to find a cheap hostel just over the day. Even though you'll have to pay for one night it will be cheap and most of them have private rooms too and not only dorms. It can be nice to have a room to take a quick shower and change clothes etc. before you leave. You can check here if you like: www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/usa/honolulu/

Have a nice trip!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage dilemma

You actually can pay to have the bellhops at the Ilikai hold your luggage. Our timeshare is in the building, and our management company includes a voucher that we have to show to get our bags held on departure day. They are very clear that the voucher is like cash, if we lose it we have to pay the guys directly- so paying for them to hold your luggage is also doable. And if you need a place to clean up before dinner or whatever since it's a late flight, I know many people pay $25 for a day pass to the Mandara Spa next door at the HHV and use their facilities. They will even print your boarding passes out for you. We only keep the room for the extra night because of our young son.

Oops, hindsight working here, if I do the math for say $20 to hold the bags plus $25/person to use the spa...I change my answer to get another room due to your party size. Smaller party, don't bother!

Edited: 28 May 2014, 15:42
Seattle
Level Contributor
44,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage dilemma

<We even considered the option of renting a hotel for that last day!>

That doesn't really work out either in the situation because typically hotel check-in time is not until 3pm.

albany, n.y.
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage dilemma

Talk to the bellman at the property, ask them to store the bags for the day. slip them a twenty and have a fun day.