We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About to toss a coin...unless...

Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
About to toss a coin...unless...

...I can be persuaded either way.

1) Coconut Waikiki (265 sq ft Mountain View King room)?

OR

2) Aqua Pacific Monarch (360 sq ft Ocean View Studio Kitchenette)?

Myself and the hubby have 2 nights in Oahu before flying to Sydney. These hotels seem to get fairly good reviews for this price range (approx $150-$160 per night) which is my maximum budget for this part of our trip. We're staying in Maui for 5 nights on our way home and will have ocean views at our accommodation there.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About to toss a coin...unless...

To me, Aqua Pacific Monarch is the better location as it's closer to the beach and the main strip on Kalakaua. Add a larger room with ocean view, and that just clinches it in my book. I have not stayed at either property though.

Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: About to toss a coin...unless...

Thanks TrvlngGrl96. Those are all things I like about Aqua Pacific Monarch too. I'm considering Coconut Waikiki Hotel as well because the mountain view is unobstructed and looks lovely from traveler photos on TA whilst an ocean view at the Monarch may be partially blocked by other buildings.

I should also add that we have stayed in an ocean front room at the Sheraton Waikiki previously which was amazing, however for this short trip, I'm more concerned with value for money.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: About to toss a coin...unless...

As long as you are above about the 12th floor of the Pacific Monarch.....

You will get pretty darn good ocean views, with just a few towers located several blocks away obscuring small portions of the panorama.

The unobstructed mountain ("mauka") views across the Ala Wai canal you would get at the Coconut Waikiki are awesome and provide for gorgeous sunrises. I enjoyed one for years.

But, they do come with a price.

Ala Wai Blvd and the canal-front path make for a very busy corridor, and the cars and people can combine to create lots of noise, often at inopportune hours (as when the Waikiki night spots start closing between Midnight and 2-ish and folks start heading home).

I prefer the Monarch. Closer to the beach, a little more centrally-located, and it has a really good Japanese restaurant in the building (Jinroku, a solid 4-plus star joint with nice ambience), a great Korean BBQ take-out place across the street one way (Me BBQ...cheap, big portions and very tasty), and Hy's, perhaps Hawaii's best steakhouse, across the street the other way.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 02:42
Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: About to toss a coin...unless...

Thanks amberloo, that's really helpful advice. I appreciate the restaurant tips too. I think the Monarch wins!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About to toss a coin...unless...

I don't mean to put a spanner in the works. Try Illikai Holtel and Suites through Waikiki Beach rentals. They have good reviews and large rooms from $119 to $149 plus tax.

Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: About to toss a coin...unless...

Thanks Agro. That looks like a good site. I've already booked the Monarch, but will keep it in mind for next time. Because there's always a next time with Hawaii!

7. Re: About to toss a coin...unless...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17