We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
304 reviews
Save Topic
Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

I see there are some old posts on whether to use TheBus or The Waikiki Trolley to get around. I will probably be buying a pass for either as I will be in Waikiki in November 2014 for 10 days. Has anyone have some recent advice on which is the best transport and value for money?

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

TheBus goes almost anyplace you want to go. The Trolley is open air and lots of car fumes, very crowded and probably won't go where you want.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 14:36
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,795 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

Another vote for The Bus. You can get a 4-day pass for $35. For more info, see the Top Question, Taking the Bus.

http://thebus.org/

If you get a 4-day bus pass, nothing wrong with getting a 1 day trolley pass on a different day.

http://www.waikikitrolley.com/

http://www.waikikitrolley.com/tickets/

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,723 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

You want The Bus. Nothing has changed from older posts about that. Trolley might be fun to ride around on a lark, but for real transportation and getting around... you definitely need The Bus.

suze

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I was planning on getting the 4 day TheBus pass.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

While dabus may be great, it wasn't for us, do take a look at the Trolley lines offerings. They really worked great for us last Dec. We loved the hop-on-hop-off when we wished aspect and the drivers were a hoot. You get the same car fumes walking down the street!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

I have never ridden on the Trollies that I can recall...

(Hey, it's Waikiki some nights are tough to remember)

And I'm a big proponent of The Bus system.

But, I want to say six positive things about the Trollies I've noticed from seeing them as I walk my five miles or so around Honolulu everyday:

1. Their range, routes and stops have expanded greatly in recent years. You see them going through, sightseeing, and picking up passengers all over the place (not sure why they are in my Kakaako neighborhood except to see the "Wall Art" or visit our off-the-wall dining and drinking joints).

2. You get a bit of a tour and humor from the drivers, and some (particularly the Japanese-oriented ones) often have a guide giving a spiel throughout the route. But please don't take them too seriously on their historic insights....I've heard bits & pieces of some awful loony statements by drivers.

3. The riders are almost always smiling, laughing and enjoying themselves......something you rarely see on a city bus.

4. Although an A/C bus is nice on a real hot day, or for residents going to/from work & school, I much prefer the open air.....after all, isn't that what you traveled to Hawaii for?

5. The view from the Trollies is far superior than from an enclosed bus with heavily tinted windows, particularly as many have "excursion"-style seating facing outwards as opposed to the front of the bus. This provides a chance to check out the wonderful scenery in our town; especially our fantastic trees.

6. You will never run into a rude local resident or smelly/insane homeless rider on a Trolley.

On the down side.....

They can be crowded. With some stops overwhelmingly so. Like the one in front of the Ohana Waikiki West which always has a bazillion persons waiting to board ("Hey, folks, this is a sidewalk for pedestrians too, mind clearing at least a little bit of room to let us through?").

Edited: 11 June 2014, 03:02
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

A lot of the trolleys I have seen are reserved for groups. Not all are for the public to jump on. And the routes for the Trolleys are not as extensive or frequent.

I would choose TheBus over the Trolley - which has a lot of touristy hype ... but is not as functional.

If I were simply hopping to the Ala Moana Center, the Trolley would be OK ... but for anything else, I'd use TheBus.

Note that the 4-day pass for The Bus ... the days need to be consecutive. That tripped us up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

Thanks for your advice

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

Well the Red line, Blue and Yellow line Trolleys are very public and very fun! Some of us LOVE the info the drivers give you. Just me but I hate standing and waiting for buses! The trolley times are spot on, yes, Amberloo, I feel your pain on a couple of the stops. It just worked well for us old folks and we had a wonderful day exploring the historical sights. We considered the Blue line that cruises the coast too. Maybe next trip.

Honolulu, Hawaii...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest on TheBus or Waikiki Trolley?

The bus adult 2,50 17 yr old

Or youth 6-17 yr please make sure they're wear

Student I'd badge for 1.25

Senior or disability who has a Medicare card $ 1 .

Visited bus pass they're did raise 46 dollars only buy it at any abc store only in cash

Some route did change