We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

We will be arriving at the Hilton Hawaiian Village between 5:00 and 6:00 pm. Was thinking of Dukes or Hula grill for a good, but not fancy, entry dinner in to Hawaii.

Which one and why? Also, are either walking distance?

Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

It is about a 18 minutes walk. Both might be very busy and I guess you don't want to wait long when hungry and tired. You can make reservations on internet.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,231 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

If I was hungry and tired I wouldn't go as far as Duke's or Hula Grill. The furthest I'd go would be Halekulani for the House Without a Key or Shore Bird at the Outrigger Reef, but if I was tired and jetlagged I might just stay at HHV and go to Tropics Bar & Grill onsite.

hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/dining/tropics-bar…

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

I agree, I'd probably pick something closer to your hotel, and not such popular/busy restaurants for your first night coming off a long flight (like Scott's suggestions above). They aren't too terribly far to walk, but they are both at the opposite end of Waikiki from your hotel.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

I agree, I'd stay on property at the Hilton your first night, it is a pretty long walk to Dukes or Hula Grill. You pretty much need reservations at either Dukes or Hula Grill made in advance, unless you want to sit in the barefoot bar or patio area at Dukes, which doesn't take reservations and has a smaller menu (for the patio at Dukes they had a waiting list, but the tables in the bar area were first come first serve, so you have to kind of "stalk" a table so you can grab it when people get up and it is pretty loud sitting there in the bar area).

I love Hula Grill, but I would make reservations for another night when you are not so tired.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

Both are in the same hotel, Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. It is a bit of a far walk but you can walk. I would go somewhere closer to the Hilton. If you go to either of them, make sure you have a reservation.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,231 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

To get to Duke's/Hula Grill you can walk this way.....

http://goo.gl/maps/8siWe

Or walk along the beach (slippahs in hand) and it is about 3/4 of a mile.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

Here's my $0.02.....

If you want a good "entry dinner in to Hawaii.", take a short cab ride to the La Mariana Sailing Club. Perfect!

www.lamarianasailingclub.com

If it doesn't get you into the right frame of mind, I don't know what will.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

AlandRoberta, I saw an article on La Mariana in Hawaii magazine a while back and was totally intrigued. How's the food? The place's history and ambiance look wonderful! Maybe we will go there for lunch on our Pearl Harbor day….

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,035 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

Aloha,

The Charthouse is right next door.

Great view of the harbor.

http://charthousewaikiki.com/

Have a great time,

Aloha

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jetlagged and Hungry Dukes or Hula Grill

We ate dinner at La Mariana on our last trip and everyone loved the whole experience. The food was really good as was the ambiance.