We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip...do able or not

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Topic
A day trip...do able or not

Hello , hoping I am reading the information on forum correctly. Visiting Oahu Dec 21 to Dec 31st.

I want to do the Pearl Harbour/ Arizona memorial. I will be with my mother 78 who is reasonably active. Staying Shoreline Waikiki. Is this correct...

Catch bus #20 or 42 visit the memorial and also the swap met nearby. Bus home.

I need to reserve tickets in advance to the memorial? Can I chose the time to go to memorial? There are shuttles buses between the memorial and swap met? The buses to the sites run regularly? Best to go to the swap met first? I have read you aren't able to take bags into memorial. Is that so? Are there lockers if require available?

Many thanks in advance

Lee

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,224 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day trip...do able or not

You do not need to reserve tickets for the tour of the Arizona Memorial. You can, but you don't have to. Get there early in the morning if you can't get them online. I don't think you can choose your tour time. You can't take bags of any kind. Yes, there are lockers.

There's a lot more to see in the complex than just the Arizona. Museums and exhibits. A submarine you can tour, and a battleship. You can easily spend more than a half day there. I'd do the swap meet on a different day when I could go early to avoid the heat.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 06:50
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
967 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day trip...do able or not

www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do…

www.viptrans.com/pearl-harbor-shuttles.html

You can reserve tickets for the tours and pay a booking fee of $1.50 per ticket.

You can also get a shuttle like the one run by Viptrans Hawaii.

The local experts on this forum will give you good travel tips as well

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day trip...do able or not

You can choose the time if you reserve your tickets online. When you do the walk up they hand out tickets on a first come first serve basis.

There are tickets available currently for you to reserve, and I would highly recommend you doing so.

www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,392 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day trip...do able or not

Since Oahu is packed to the gills over Christmas vacation, I would reserve in advance and do that as soon as possible. If you can not reserve in advance than I'd get there 30 minutes before they open to be sure you can get an early boat to the USS Arizona Memorial.

Can't help with transportation to the Swap Meet.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A day trip...do able or not

You should make advanced reservations for USS Arizona Memorial.

For $1.50 each, it sure beats getting there at 6am to get walk up tickets.

Make the reservations for 10am or so. That will give you plenty of time to take the bus (takes about 1 hour by bus) and to arrive & pick up tickets at least an hour before your tour.

You can make reservations for up to 6 months in advance. Today is June 24, so you can make reservations through December 24. The 35 out of 150 tickets that can be reserved online go fast. So make reservations now.

#20 or #42 will get you there from Waikiki with no need for a transfer.

A few years ago when I left Hawaii, they had free shuttles running between the Pearl Harbor Visitors Center & the Swap Meet. Don't know if they still do.

It is only about 500 meters between the two (10 minute walk).

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A day trip...do able or not

There is a bag check area (not lockers) for $3/bag.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day trip...do able or not

Be careful with your mom. Both these activities involve a bit of walking. The swap meet, although you are coming in December will be very hot. It's on an asphalt parking lot. I personally think mom would like to do these on separate days, other wise she could be exhausted!!

Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A day trip...do able or not

Thankyou, always wonderful information from knowledgable people must get sick of answering similar questions all the time.

Thankyou

Lee

9. Re: A day trip...do able or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24