We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Hello Group,

I am travelling to Hawaii with my wife and two sons 7 & 10 yrs old for this summer vacation. This is our first time to the Island and we just want to have an enjoyble time without breaking our bank if possible by following some simple tips :-)

My itinerary is:

Day 1: Arrive Honolulu around noon. Waikiki Beach in the evening

Day 2 : Oahu – Pearl harbor, Polynesian Culture Center (including show and dinner)

Day 3: Oahu – Circle Island (self-guided using GyPsy guide iphone app)

Day 4: Oahu - Kualoa Ranch

Day 5: Fly to Big Island around noon

Day 6: Big Island – Circle Island tour (self-guided)

Day 7: Big Island - Mauna Kea

Day 8: Fly to Maui around noon. Kaanapali Beach in the evening

Day 9: Maui – Circle Island tour (self-guided using GypSy guide iphone app)

Day 10: Maui – Haleakala (self-guided using GypSy guide iphone app)

Day 11: Maui – Lahaina. Fly back to home late evening

I have rental SUV in all three Islands. No guided tour or anything.

Please provide your expert advice if I need to take anything into consideration or must see in this trip. Any help on self guided tours will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 04:21
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

First off, given the amount of days you have, I would only pick two islands, at the very most. You could spend the whole time you have just on the Big Island, and not see everything.

To make it more enjoyable, and to avoid spending so much time in airports, please reconsider, and just pick two of the islands, at the very most.

If you can arrange your flights, fly into Oahu, and fly interisland to another island of your choosing, and then fly home from the second island.

Also, you don't need an SUV, unless you are more comfortable with that. A mid size car would be good enough, and not such a gas guzzler. Also, the parking spots tend to be smaller than the mainland.

Another note... summer of 2014? Or next year? If this year, you need to get busy, and fast. Places are all busy, due to summer holidays.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

I'd like to welcome you to the Hawaii forums, too! I have to agree with Joan, three islands, 10 days with two kids will not be relaxing or cheap! If you are planning this trip for August 2014, you are also too late for any bargains.

I'd recommend, at most, 2 islands, but you'll need to check flights for interisland (Hawaiian Air) for cost and availability. Here is another idea - choose one island.

I'd do that on Oahu. That island is easy to get to, has Pearl Harbor and many other cultural sites, beautiful, lush mountains and beaches everywhere. You can split your stay between two locations; here are a few ideas for split: Marriot Ko Olina and North Shore, Waikiki and North Shore, Kailua and either Waikiki or North Shore. If you do a split on one island, you really do get two unique experiences without paying for airfare for 4.

Another island you can immerse yourselves into would be Kauai; split your time between Poipu and any of the North Shore areas. In the north there are lots of homes and cottages for rent, that's what we're doing.

Many people really want to include the Big Island on a multi-island tour, but you can also do a day trip via Roberts:

https:/…od-hawaii-circle-island.php

I also agree to rent the smallest car you can; no need for 4 WD or a huge car and, as Joan mentions, parking places are tight and gas is expensive.

If you really want to do 3 islands, I'd recommend you plan a minimum of 5 days on each island, and you're going to wish you had more!

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Thanks JOan for your response. I have already booked my tickets for this trip this summer.. in about 3 weeks.

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Thanks PlumeriaD. My intital plan was 15 nights... and I changed my mind in the last minute reconsidering the budget constraints.. :-) I realized that I need to set aside money for each additional night that I have to spend at Hawaii ... :-)

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

This schedule looks overly ambitious and totally packed. Much too hectic IMO.

You're traveling from New Jersey? Is this correct? It doesn't look like you're taking into account any time change or jet lag. Will you really enjoy an evening show if your body thinks it's 2am? What about the kids? It's a six hour time difference.

You also appear to be spending a lot of time in the car.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Okay, when you say you have booked the tickets already, do you mean you have the inter island ones as well? And you realize that you need to be at the airport 90 minutes before departure, same as if you were flying back to your home state?

And do you have condos booked already too?

What about the rental vehicle? Can you cancel that and re book it? Most of use Costco if a member, or www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for the best rates. You get better rates if you book a week though.

And never pre pay, as the rates often drop closer to departure date. While gas anywhere in Hawaii is cheaper than what I pay where I live, it is expensive for those from the Lower 48. Costco is usually the cheapest place to get gas too. You may be able to save some more money by seeing if you can rent a smaller vehicle.

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Thank you Kathryn.

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Hi Joan,

All flights, condos, rental cars are booked thru United Vacations. I am a Costco member, but I found them comparable with what I have purchased. I will take your advise on the smaller car. Thank you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

When you get to Maui, I would forgo any more trips around the island. Just enjoy your time at the beach at Ka'anapali. You might want to drive up Haleakala on the second day, but I wouldn't feel pressured to get in the car again. There is a lot to see Upcountry on the way to Haleakala. There is a goat farm up there, and the kids might enjoy that.

But I would really encourage you to play it by ear. Sometimes a bucket and shovel, with some sunscreen and a hat at the beach, is the most family fun ever.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Islands 10 Nights Hawaii Tour

Which condo did you get at Ka'anapali? Kapalua Bay is a great beach for the kids, and they may even enjoy their first snorkel attempt. Snorkel Bob or Boss Frog's is a good place to rent snorkel gear. Also, be aware that if you get the snorkel gear on Oahu or the Big Island, you can return the gear to ANY of their stores, even on a different island.

Make sure you spend some time in Lahaina, and check out the huge banyan tree. It's lots of fun for the kids. And Ululani's shave ice would be a great stop on a hot afternoon. Heck, it's a great stop anytime!