We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu in November

Pouso Alto, MG
1 post
Save Topic
Honolulu in November

Hi.

My wife and I are going to Honolulu next november (for the very first time).

We`re kind of lost, though. We`ve been researching the place a lot since we decided to go and there isn`t much useful information.

Is it necessary to rent a car?

what are the best places to eat outside waikiki?

which attractions we shouldn`t miss?

Where should we go to buy stuff?

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
48,184 posts
1,547 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu in November

Well, for a few of your questions, I can offer my thoughts:

Where to eat outside of Waikiki - I really like two great restaurants, just down the street from each other - King Street and the restaurants are Alan Wong's and Chef Mavro. Down Ala Moana Blvd, outside of Waikiki, you have many options, starting with the Ala Moana Shopping Center, and extending all throughout Honolulu. Another great restaurant, 3660 on the Rise, is out of the Waikiki Area, as are any number of other, worthwhile restaurants, such as Nico's Pier 38.

However, now I must ask you a few questions regarding the restaurants: What do you want? What is your budget? Why is Waikiki off your list?

For shopping, a good place to start is the Ala Moana Shopping Center, but specific suggestions will follow, if you let us know what you would be shopping for. Also, much of Waikiki is filled with shopping stores ranging from the low-cost mementos of the trip, up to very high-end fashion items.

Now, regarding the what to see/do, I would start with the Top Questions in the upper-right of this forum, if viewed via a Web browser. Lots of great info there. Then, if you can tell us a bit about what YOU like to see and do, others can make more educated suggestions. What might appeal to me, might have zero interest for you.

For the auto question, while there IS public transportation on O`ahu, plus taxis and limos, for many side-trips out of Honolulu/Waikiki, and auto would be a big plus. We usually rent for the trip and just pay for hotel parking, but one could save some $ by planning their days, and renting ONLY when needed. Besides HNL, there are quite a few rental outlets in Honolulu/Waikiki.

Travel safely and enjoy!

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Alan Wong's Restaurant
Alan Wong's Restaurant
1,530 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Chef Mavro
Chef Mavro
325 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,590 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,195 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu in November

Welcome to TripAdvisor!

A little more information, please. When in November are you traveling? I ask because November 27th is American Thanksgiving - and the entire week is extremely popular for family vacations.

Also - how many nights will you be on Oahu? This, too, makes a difference.

Honolulu is the major city in the State of Hawaii - and it is on the Island of Oahu.

Where are you from? If you are comfortable renting a car, please do. Oahu is gorgeous, and it is much more fun to travel on your own than to take tours with a bundle of other people and no flexibility.

If you start reading down the OAHU Forum (which includes the Honolulu Forum), you'll find answers to your questions and much more.

Also - do you have a good travel guidebook for Oahu? A good map?

Stay in touch with us ... and we can help you!

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu in November

I went in November last year for a 2 week break, just stayed in Waikiki - didn't hire a car.

But with regards to staying around the holiday break - we were there for Thanksgiving / Black Friday - and I did not find it that busy.

Yes was a lot of pepole around, but have definetly been to busier places. Everywhere was open, lots of sales on.

If you're eating around Waikiki check out waikikimenus.com they are very handy :)

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu in November

Is it necessary to rent a car?

- I feel you should rent a car for at least one day. You really don't need one because you can catch the trolley, shuttle buses and city buses everywhere to the tourist locations. I'd rent a car for a day to eat in various hole in the wall spots, go hiking and a beach outside of Waikiki.

what are the best places to eat outside waikiki?

It all depends on what you feel like eating? As a local, I love getting the Chili/Chicken Mix Palte at Zippy's, Pork Carnitas from Serg's, Chicken Katsu Curry from Curry House, Kalbi/Meat Jun plate from peppa's, Kalua Pig Plate from Yama's Fish Market and Acai Bowls from Bogarts Cafe.

which attractions we shouldn`t miss?

I really recommend going hiking on one of the hundreds of trails around the island. PCC would be nice as well. I enjoyed the Honolulu Zoo recently with all the upgrades. The swap meet on the weekends is good for finding deals. You could also hire a boat to take you out into ocean to swim with turtles and dolphins. A lot of people enjoy sky diving as well.

Where should we go to buy stuff?

I'll probably recommend Ala Moana Shopping Center, Waikele Outlet Mall and the Swap Meet on the weekends. It all depends on what you're looking for!

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu Zoo
Honolulu Zoo
2,460 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,590 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,454 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu in November

<We`ve been researching the place a lot since we decided to go and there isn`t much useful information.>

**Click on the top of this forum under "Top Questions About Honolulu" there's a ton of information.

<Is it necessary to rent a car?>

**Not necessary, it's easy to get around by public transportation, walking, taxis, shuttles. But many people like to have one for the convenience and the ease in getting outside the city.

<which attractions we shouldn`t miss?>

**Diamondhead, Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, ShangriLa Estate

<Where should we go to buy stuff?>

**Food: ABC Stores, Food Pantry grocery store on Kuhio, and visit the Farmers Markets (KCC, Kings Village, etc.)

**Souveniers: Sand People, Island Soap & Candle Works, Honolulu Cookie Company, Nohea Gallery

**Something you forgot to pack: any ABC Store

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
151 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,748 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Bishop Museum
Bishop Museum
2,411 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
384 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
482 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu Cookie Company
Honolulu Cookie Company
600 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolulu in November

Take a look around this web-site. The menu's on the top of the page and the Top Questions on the right hand side. Tons of info right at your fingertips along with dozens of other web-sites. One of my favorite is

www.hawaii-guide.com

What are your interests, what drew you to Hawaii in the first place? How long will you be here?

I think renting a car for the entire time is the best solution, you can come and go as you please. Sometimes it can be cheaper to rent a car as opposed to paying for shuttles, buses and tours.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,454 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolulu in November

www.go-hawaii.com is good because you can put in your dates and get a calendar of local events happening during your stay (for each island).

8. Re: Honolulu in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:17