We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iolani Palace

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Iolani Palace

We'll be in Honolulu on a Princess cruise ship. The last time we were docked by the Aloha Tower so I assume that is where we'll be again this time. It looks like the Iolani Palace would be within walking distance. My question is if it would be flat or uphill to the palace? I thought we'd go in the morning and take the guided tour and then stay for the free concert if it isn't raining. If it is uphill it looks like we could take the bus. What would you suggest? Also....do you think it would be worthwhile to see the gardens at Queen Emma's summer palace? We wouldn't take the tour of the palace but just walk around the gardens if it would be worth the trip.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iolani Palace

You could walk to the Iolani Palace if you want to ... but I would take a cab and save your energy for the rest of the day. The terrain is flat.

Make sure that you have reservations for the guided tour. They sell out quickly. (I really like the guided tour!)

Are you sure there is a concert the day of your visit??

Queen Emma's - nice smallish place ... but not "palace-ish" at all. If you want to see a knock-out garden - go to the Foster Botanical Gardens, a short taxi ride from the Iolani Palace.

Plan for heat and sun ... comfy sandals, sun hat, sun screen ... carry water. (You're from Tucson, I know ... but this is tropical.)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iolani Palace

We will be there on a Friday and the website says that they have concerts on Fridays weather permitting. We'll be sure to be prepared for the heat. I'll have to call and make reservations. Thank you.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,678 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iolani Palace

Agreeing that it is flat but not a short walk, so I'd also recommend a taxi. I did the self-guided audio tour at the palace and liked that fine (just in case you miss the time for the morning live-guided tour). Foster Botanical Gardens are very nice, include seeing the temple on the grounds if you go. Sorry don't know about the summer palace garden to compare them. suze

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iolani Palace

Whether your ship docks at Aloha Tower or the cruise ship terminal....

It's only about five blocks to the Palace.

8 to 10 minutes max. Easy walk.

Check out the Capitol District (palace, Capitol, city hall, King Kam statue and Kawaiahao Church).

Then walk into Chinatown for interesting experience and great food.

And, Suze idea of Foster Gardens is a good one.

The whole walking tour to boat and back is only a couple totally flat miles.

I walk it every day.

Skip the Summer Palace. Not impressive at all. The coolest things are the trees in the park next door. But they are no better than trees at Iolani.

I wouldn't waste limited, valuable time there.

The Royal Hawaiian Band plays every Friday at noon on Iolani grounds (unless they are away on tour).

They also have music Friday noon at Tamarind Park in Bishop Square. Two short blocks from Iolani along King Street in Downtown.

WALK!!!!

Honolulu is wonderful walking town.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 18:54
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iolani Palace

Thank you amberloo....I think we'll just walk. I made a 10:45 reservation for the tour so we can hear the band afterwards if they're there. We can take our time getting there.

6. Re: Iolani Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:15