We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
151 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

We will be traveling next year to Waikiki with 8 family members. On our vacations we normally travel and stay together in a condo, but I am having a terrible time finding somewhere to stay. My original plan was to stay at the Wyndham (two - 2 bedroom condos), but after the horrific stories of rooms being cancelled and overbooked I think I have ruled that out. We have discovered that that Holiday Inn has great rates (we don't plan to be in the room that much so we are not striving for 5 star) and seems to be right in the action. However, our travel agent has suggested Outrigger Regency. I am a little hesitant about the Outrigger Regency because of the location and it does look a little run down It seems a little out of the way and not within walking distance of great shops. Am I correct? Any suggestions on either place is welcomed. I have not been to Waikiki in over 20 years so lots has changed.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

Aloha,

I'm not sure when you're traveling next year but the site next to the Beachcomber is under construction and I'm unsure about the completion date. That might be one reason for some deals at the moment.

I actually like the location of the Outrigger Regency on Beachwalk better. It's not on the main drag as Beachcomber is. It's a short, easy walk to all shopping and many restaurants. The lobby of the Regency is nothing special but the service is good and I rarely hear any negative complaints about the rooms etc.

Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

Stating your budget and what time of year you are going would help people answer, and if not striving for 5 star, you may have to settle for "a little run down" whatever that means, and what is your definition of "great shops". does that mean "expensive shops"? cause in Waikiki, they are everywhere, and come and go like the tradewinds. Walking distance to some people is 5 minutes, but 30 minutes to others, which category includes you?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,972 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

Where have you heard "horrific stories of (Wyndham) rooms being cancelled and overbooked"? I don't know that I've heard any. It get pretty good reviews here.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60982-d641009-…

I actually like the location of the Outrigger Regency Beach Walk better than the Beachcomber (Outrigger owns both of them) because the Beachcomber is on Kalakaua and the Regency is newer.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
151 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

We are booking the week of June 13th and would like to stay in the $7,000 range for accommodations. I am just trying to weigh all pros and cons before finalizing such as beach access from both hotels, Holiday Inn has a pool Regency does not, Holiday Inn has a beach view Regency does not, does the Beach Walk have plenty of shops and eateries vs Kalakaya Ave. Yes I am an over the top planner.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,972 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

Beach Walk is the newest shopping area in Waikiki and developed mostly by the Outrigger Hotel Corp.

Guests at the Outrigger Regency get to use the pool at the Outrigger Reef.

You would have a lot more room in the Regency.

http://www.waikikibeachwalk.com/

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,972 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

Here is Street View in front of the HI Beachcomber.

http://goo.gl/maps/gK8l1

Here is the Regency on Beachwalk.

http://goo.gl/maps/rBpoQ

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
151 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

Scottoa075

Here is the link to the Wyndham info that I read tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k717132…

The Wyndham was our first pick because it suited our needs great. However, I am now very leary renting through a timeshare owner, even with good reviews and references I have read of familes being overbooked and moved to the Royal Garden which is several blocks away. How do timeshare owners have all these weeks/multiple units to rent on VRBO? I have called the Wyndham directly and they will rent to me, but only after timeshare owners cancel out their weeks. Of course that could be some time next year. I am still afraid of Wyndam moving me to another location and giving an owner priority. I am not sure if I want to take that chance wtih my Hawaii vacation. With all that being said it is still the place we would like to be.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
279 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

Outrigger Regency

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,972 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

BeachGirl, that topic had ZERO to do with Wyndham. It was about people who rent through third party vendors I would ONLY rent from Wyndham directly, not through VRBO, Homeaway, or anyone else. I would go through Wyndham directly.

http://www.extraholidays.com/

https:/…index.do

You might pay a bit more vs a third party, but you won't have the hassles you do like that thread.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,664 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber vs. Outrigger Regency

BeachGirl1489

"We are booking the week of June 13th and would like to stay in the $7,000 range for accommodations."

If that is correct that is $1000 a night for lodging? You don't want to stay in either of those two hotels. You should step up to ocean front suites at the Halekulani or the Royal Hawaiian.