We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

Auckland, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

I'm 'guessing' from the now closed (??) topic of wi-fi at Honolulu Airport, that there is still none there? Likewise power outlets so stranded flyers can at least ensure all laptops, etc. are fully charged as they are now forced to do after the recent law changes. We have a LONG wait after a mandatory 2.00 p.m. Hotel checkout and a 11.00 p.m. airline departure. So be warned all future travellers coming to this very wealthy nation- probability is that you'll be sitting for a long time in a third world environment! (Apologies if I'm wrong!).

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

There's WiFi at HNL - I was just there yesterday. It's not free. Here's the link to the info on charging stations hawaii.gov/hnl/…internet-services. We are certainly not a third world environment.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,240 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

Last time we were at HNL, there was no free Wi-Fi.

Re: Red-eye flights. Many folks go ahead and book their hotel or condo for an extra night. It's much easier than being "homeless" for all those hours between hotel check-out and flight check-in. I don't know if any Waikiki hotels offer a day rate for instances like this. On Kaua‘i, The Garden Island Inn does providing they are not totally full. I believe the rate is only $60.00

3. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 21:19
Edited: 26 July 2014, 21:19
Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

You're lucky its a 2pm checkout, usually its more like 11 am,, at least where we have ever stayed, because checkin is usually 2-3pm so they need time to get the room ready. Have you asked about a late checkout,? Or some hotels even have a small room available where you can stay for half a day or so,.We always fly out around 9-10 pm, and have always been allowed to stay in our room late, last few times until 6pm, and for free! But it would depend on if the room is booked for someone else on the day you leave or an early arrival the next day, if not, you might get it. So it works out just right, pickup at 6, get to airport by 6:30-7pm, check in the required 3 hours before the flight, then relax for a few hours.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

hawaii.gov/hnl/…

HNL is undergoing a modernization project - and hopeful better Internet service is on the list.

<<We have a LONG wait after a mandatory 2.00 p.m. Hotel checkout >> That doesn't mean that your holiday is over. Where are you staying? As a general rule, you can check your bags with the bellman at the hotel after you check out ... and resume your vacation until it is actually time to leave for the airport.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

Most hotels will hold luggage after you check out, call the hotel and ask.

As stated above, there is internet but it isn't free. There are charging stations but not enough and they are not convenient. I find HNL to be an uncomfortable airport to hang out in but I wouldn't call it third world. I sometimes send a long time there but I go to the Untited club for free WiFi, outlets, and a nice place to pass the time.

I go to Oahu often, though. If I were a less frequent visitor I would have the hotel hold my luggage and spend one last day enjoying Waikiki.

7. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 23:27
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

In Australia most of our airports don't have free WIFI, you generally have to pay. I have found that in planning for our trip to Hawaii that a lot of the hotels and even condos give you access for free (or included in resort fee), which I was pleasantly surprised about.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

I hardly think lack of free wifi makes an airport third world. There are actually some nice areas of the airport with some very nice gardens.

You of course do not need to go sit at the airport for several hours....

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,050 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Wifi at Honolulu Airport

First world problems. So sad.

New laws? What are you talking about? Nothing here that I or my 3+MM flyer DH know about.