We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Honolulu with kids

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Honolulu with kids

Hi

We are going to Hawaii in Sept with our 4 and 2 year olds and are staying in Honolulu for 3 full days before flying to Maui for a week. Appreciate any recommendations on kids attractions and accommodations (preferably close to a supermarket as no doubt that will be our first stop). I would also like to do some shopping for myself.

Thanks

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

Kids like the beach, aquarium, zoo, parts of Pearl Harbor like the aviation museum & Missouri. Catch a free hula show, maybe take a catamaran sail. There's really loads of stuff for all of you to enjoy. For three-four nights most hotels wi'll do since they typically have mini fridges & probably a microwave. I wouldn't plan it around a grocery store since you can get the basics at an ABC store literally everywhere. How about sharing your budget and basing your location around that (ie. oceanfront or not)?

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,610 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

For kids that age I think the hotel pool and the beach are the two biggest attractions in Waikiki. Stop by any ABC store and buy floaties and sand toys.

Waikiki Sand Villa is a decent reasonably-priced hotel that it one block from Food Pantry grocery store. They have some 'family rooms' that offer kitchenettes. And a very nice pool area.

suze

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

Hi! You have 2 nights?

What is your nightly accommodations budget? We really need this to recommend a hotel to you.

Honolulu has a very nice zoo ... and it's on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki.

We get this question ... about activities with kids ... often, so scroll down the OAHU Forum and see what you can find.

You will have no problem finding places to shop on Waikiki. We can direct you to a grocery store once we know where you are staying. But for such a short stay, you may just need an ABC Store. They are everywhere.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

Thanks for your reply. We are looking at max $200 per night. We are not fussed with staying in Waikiki as I know its quite dear but then again how good is the public transport there? Are there curiosity buses to the aquarium from the city? We want to take the kids to the aquarium, discovery centre and the Atlantic submarine. On our last day, we are thinking of renting a car so we can drive around the island and do some sight seeing. While on that, are there any good tour company's? I have goggled but couldn't come up with any that offers full/half day tour of couple of places.

Once again, thank you

Edited: 26 August 2014, 07:30
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

Hi @BLBL. No, we have 3 full days. We arrive midday Tues and leave for Maui on Sat morning. Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

Strongly suggest you skip the Atlantis submarine. It is absurdly overpriced for what you actually get!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

Yes, the sub is expensive but my dh and nephew went on it years ago and had a fantastic time. All depends on what your budget is like and if you want to spend the money.

Waikiki is an area within the city of Honolulu. It has one of the best public transportation systems in the country. If you stay in Waikiki you can walk or take TheBus to the attractions you have listed.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

You have more time on Maui, so do the submarine there. Personally, I think it is a tourist trap ... and you should go on line and make sure your kids are old enough (or tall enough) before mentioning it out loud.

I would also skip the aquarium in Honolulu ... and go to the Maui Ocean Center (!!) instead.

Honolulu Zoo ... love it!

Scroll down the OAHU Forum, as we talk about economy accommodations all the time.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

Thank you everyone for your contributions. we have booked our hotel and cant wait to get away from this freezing cold. X

10. Re: 3 days in Honolulu with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:15