We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel options

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Oregon
7 posts
Save Topic
Help with hotel options

Hello, I am hoping to find some help with where to stay for a trip to Oahu in December. We are traveling with 4 adults and 2 children (ages 6 and 11), arriving Dec 27 and leaving Jan 2. I don't have the specific budget info as I am not paying for the trip but was given a choice of hotels that are within the budget. I have been researching and looking at reviews but am not sure which to choose. Can anyone help out?

Must have: ocean view, be clean and safe, within 2-3 blocks to Waikiki beach

Would prefer: fridge, microwave (one child has autism and has limited food options), updated décor/rooms, and pool.

Here are the choices I have been given to review and offer my opinion on:

*Pacific Beach hotel

*Aston Waikiki Beach hotel

*Hilton Hawaiian Village

*Aston Waikiki Banyan

*Park Shore

*Hilton Waikiki Beach

I am finding all kinds of reviews and info and pros and cons to each. Several have very mixed reviews, some saying great things and some saying rooms are old and smelly. It is so hard to choose. I know we will be doing a lot of exploring and activities but would still like a decent place to rest when needed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer help and suggestions!

Edited: 24 August 2014, 03:18
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hotel options

Well, for starters, if you are 2-3 blocks back from the beach, you won't have much of an ocean view. If you are on a very high floor, then maybe.

Also, you should be aware that very few hotels will allow six people in one room. Are you planning on getting two rooms? A two bedroom unit?

The time of year you're talking about is VERY popular, such that room availability will be limited and prices high.

If it was my family, I'd try for a two bedroom condo rental at the Waikiki Banyan (or Sunset). It will have a full kitchen and has a nice recreation deck with a kids play area. If you look on

vrbo.com

you should be able to find a rental, with free parking, for $250 or less.

Good luck~~~~~~~~~~~~

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,432 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotel options

The only option that is a condo is the Aston Waikiki Banyan. It has a full kitchen.

The rest will have a mini fridge at best and a couple might have mircowaves.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hotel options

Welcome to TripAdvisor! You are planning very late for the most popular time of the year. I'm surprised that these hotels have vacancies. Note that you will need two rooms ... and may want to opt for a suite or condo.

Me, personally, I would opt for the Hilton Waikiki Beach from that list ... but it might not meet your specific needs.

Salem, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hotel options

Thank you for the replies!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we are looking at 3 rooms, my mother in law is hoping that we can get 3 rooms adjoining (or at least 2 adjoining) so each pair of adults can have private room and kids can share a room. Not sure that will be an option.

She has a travel agent she works with for all her trips and these were given to us as options through her.

The Waikiki Banyan seem to have very mixed reviews but I liked the kitchen and the kids rec area there. Just don't want to end up with an old, outdated place I guess.

Salem, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hotel options

Does anyone know if any of those hotels have adjoining or connecting rooms?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hotel options

Adjoining rooms? I would call and ask each hotel directly. Skip the travel agent and call the hotel and ask whatever you like! :o)

One more thing ... just because a hotel has adjoining rooms, doesn't mean that they will be available - especially around the holidays.

At the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) you would want to make sure that you are in the same tower. The HHV is a densely-developed plot of land with several towers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with hotel options

The Banyan does not have interconnecting rooms I believe. I have gone with a private rental at the Banyan and will be there at the end of the week so shall report back. Have you considered the Embassy suites at all?

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,756 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with hotel options

So, I really think you need to tell us what your budget is. I would avoid the travel agent if those are the options she gave you. They run the gamut and are not probably your best options.

So, if you tell your budget we will try to help you. As AlandRoberta said in the first reply, "ocean view" and "2 or 3 blocks from the beach" are pretty much mutually exclusive. You might be able to see water from rooms off in the distance, but I don't consider that an ocean view.

And, rooms with "ocean views" often only mean you might be able to lean out off of your lanai and see the ocean a little bit.

People here will be glad to help. I suggest that you start by looking at The Royal Hawaiian, the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, or the Outrigger Reef. Those are hotels on the beach and you can get rooms with true ocean views. They are not cheap, but that's the only way to get those views.

Adjoining rooms might be tough too, and 3 rooms at this date might be a problems. So start by checking those hotels and see if you find something that suits you. Ask if you have more questions.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with hotel options

I agree with placebets. It's tough since you are not paying ... but it sounds like you need to be directly involved in researching your options. The folks on this Forum are an incredible resource ... and your travel agent would not have the same interest or expertise.

So work with us if you can.

Again, I'd get on the phone to those hotels and start asking questions. And don't delay ... Christmas/NY is crazy busy. If your group is going to rent a car/s - reserve it TODAY. Hawaii can, and does, run out of cars.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 18:18
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,432 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with hotel options

You have to understand that the Waikiki Banyan is NOT a hotel. It is a condominium tower and Aston is just one of several management companies that manage condos there and many of the condos are rented by the actual owner through VRBO, Homeaway etc.

Because the Banyan is a condo, you can not take the reviews on decor to mean anything. The 876 units in the 2 towers all (or most) have different owners. How the decor is is an individual thing.

>>>Would prefer: fridge, microwave (one child has autism and has limited food options), updated décor/rooms<<<

What is more important, the ability to fix meals on your own in a standard kitchen with more room or the decor? Dated decor doesn't mean dirty, it just means it might be 1990's style furniture.... or it might not be. The reviews are mostly for the individual unit that person had.

I also would not call the reviews mixed, it has a 76% positive rating. Mixed reviews to be would be closer to 50%, certainly less than 60%.

The other options won't have plates, utensils, holders (pots & pans) to fix food in or any thing like that. They will have tiny refrigerators that are good for a couple of bottles of wine, but not much more.

There are many, many other condo options in Waikiki, but I'd compare condos to condos and hotels to hotels. Go back to the person paying and see if you can explore other condo options and what price point they want to stay in.