We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shrimp trucks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
shrimp trucks

any suggestions on which shrimp truck is the best? do they all have shells and veins intact?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
549 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shrimp trucks

We ate at Romys twice. They were awesome! The heads/shells/veins were intact. We didn't care about taking them apart because they were the freshest tasting shrimp we've ever had. Although, my husband wasn't too appreciative when I squirted him twice while taking them apart! LOL

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shrimp trucks

We ate at Romy's and you will have to take off the shells and devein them. I like them, my husband did not. They were very messy.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shrimp trucks

We had Giovanni's shrimp in Haleiwa....garlic butter...yum !!!!

We had to peel the shrimp shells off, but it was half the fun.

Plate of 12 shrimp & 2 scoops of rice was $12 plate !!! Bargin !!!

12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: shrimp trucks

here's a good article from two years ago

…honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…en12a.html

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: shrimp trucks

Giovanni's de-veins them for you but leaves the shell on. the Garlic style is my favorite. If you order the "Hot" style be prepared!

Never been to the one in Hale'iwa, but been to the graffiti-covered white truck in Kahuku (other end of the North Shore) at least 50 times! (only ordered the "hot" once and I can usually handle spicy quite well - but I can't say they didn't warn me!)

San Jose
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: shrimp trucks

Ate at Romys recently. Was disappointed. I thought the portions were small and the prawns were too. Tried it fried and also 'regular'. Didn't think it was worth the 11 bucks. But had to try it once

SF Bay area
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shrimp trucks

Try Holy Smokes instead. Yes, shells- and lots of garlic.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shrimp trucks

thanks all. sounds like garlic is the one.

maybe i'll visit both and post my comparison.

aloha.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: shrimp trucks

Romy's is different from the others in that they have both prawns and shrimp. Price-wise, they're all about the same.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shrimp trucks

and Romy's is the ONLY shrimp truck that serves fresh shrimp if you can believe it...the rest are shipped in...