We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

West Midlands
6 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

Hello there, Just Wondering if anyone can help!

Going on our honey moon next May and want to include New York and Hawaii . Has anyone done to both destinations on a trip/ holiday? I realise ithere will be a lot of traveling time in the form of flight hours involved but would appreciate any tips or ideas.Just fancy combining the two!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,563 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

Seems to ba a lot of traveling from U.K.

You need at least 7 full days in Hawaii to make it worthwhile. And that is one island.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

Hi there

We've made this trip each summer for the past few years (family links the various destinations). Don't be put off by people saying it's a long way. It's fine. We've tried it a number of ways (NY on the way out, then onto Hawaii - straight to Hawaii then back to NY - stop both ways for a few days etc). Our preference is to go all the way to Hawaii in one go then work our way back.

We fly with Continental because they offer the best connections and shortest travel time. They fly Birmingham to Newark direct, then Newark to Honolulu direct with about a hours connection time in Newark. If you leave the UK at around 9am, you get to HNL around 6pm the same day. Granted, you'll be in the air for about 19 hours, but it's nowhere near as rough as it sounds. My girlfriend is the most reluctant long haul passenger and even she admitted it was easy.

Coming back with Continental, you can fly HNL to Newark direct (overnight, coming back through the time zones) or you can fly through LA or Houston and stopover.

Spend as much time as you can in Hawaii - New York is just short hop by comparison and you're more likely to be back! Please, please don't just lie on the beach at Waikiki the whole time. Even without straying off Oahu, it is such a diverse and beautiful place. If you've time, day trips to the other islands are easy and cheap. You'll get change out of £100 for flights for 2 and a hire car for one day. Interisland flights are as frequent as buses.

Best of luck - best trip in the world.

J

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
49,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

Hopefully you have a good stretch of time? Perhaps 2-3 weeks?

I think it's a fine idea, as long as you realize the flight costs and times involved, and changing time zones of course.

Which island(s) on Hawaii are you interested in? I think that's the most important decision in the preliminary planning stages to figure out. Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and Big Island are each unique. And likely you won't have time for all of them.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,362 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

We are planning the same trip but hoping to fly Manchester to Newark, Newark to Honolulu then back to Manchester via Newark. We will be doing the New York part first. At the moment Expedia have the best fares for our dates flying with Continental. For some reason the Continental web site shows only first class for the first leg which we certainly can't afford. For our last trip we found Travelbag who are part of e bookers had the best flight prices. I would certainly try the airlines web stires to check out the prices. I would book your hotel independently with the hotel direct to get the best price.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,351 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

Sure, you can do it. How about my hometown, CHICAGO, and Hawaii? It's a lot more friendly than NYC.

Think about what you expect from your island stay and think about NOT staying on Oahu.

What time of year would you be traveling? What do you like to do on vacation? How long do you have for the whole trip?

The US must seem a wonderful bargain now with the exchange rate what it is!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Windsor UK
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

Sounds great ,i would go to New York first and break up the flying time ,then come back all in one go.15-16 hours on a aeroplane is hard going but worth it.We are going to Hawaii next year and stopping first in Los Angeles for a few days and on the return stopping for a few days in San Diego.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
West Midlands
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

Hi thanks for all the replies!

We have found that Dialiflight have some good fares for the trip flying from Gatwick to Newark and then onto Honolulu.

Looking at 3 nights in New York and then around a fortnight in Hawaii. We want to cover a few Islands as that seems to be very worth while?

The accomodation referenced is the following:

NY -Roosevelt 45th St - Heard Mixed reviews?

HA - Outrigger Reef on the Beach

HA- Outrigger Royal Kahana

Because its our honeymoon we would appreciate any further suggestions! Any top hotels?

We want to be active as well as relaxing in paradise! Making the most of our time!

Any information would be grand.

Many Thanks

D

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

You have just picked my two favorite travel destinations! My daughter and I just got back from 4 days in NYC. We stayed at the Muse Hotel just off the Time's Square area and it was wonderful. You might check on www.quickbook.com website for great deals on NYC hotels. We saved a lot of $$$ booking thru them after checking prices at many of the other websites. We went to see the Wizard and Mamma Mia. The Wizard was great but we absolutely loved Mamma Mia. By the end of the play everyone was up dancing to ABBA!

How long is a fortnght? Interisland travel sounds great, but depending on how much time you have and since it is your honeymoon, I would not try to cam too much in. Changing hotels, rental cars, interisland flights all use lots of precious vacation time. Have you thought of staying on another island other than Oahu for your honeymoon? We enjoyed our time there, but it is not the most "romantic" island IMHO. It is more cerebral and filled with history and culture. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,351 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

If you will have two weeks in the islands, definitely get off Oahu and see at least one other island. You might like to stay Waikiki, see Pearl Harbor and the Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace, then tour Oahu to see its north shore and east side. You can do that in four or five days. Then hop to Kauai, Maui and/or Big Island. I'd pick Kauai and Big Island. The former is your picture of a tropical island and the latter is like noplace else with its bleak lava, live volcano, beach and ranch land, wet side and dry side. Don't worry about seeing all of Hawaii. You'll be back!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
167 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Bishop Museum
Bishop Museum
2,448 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,922 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon New York & Hawaii

Hi in response to your message asking about new york /hawaii .

My wife & i went to new york last dec & loved it only there for 4 nights , but it was fantastic . My own personal opinion was its a great xmas trip with all the lights , trees shops etc very magical , dont know if i would go any other time .

We have just done a tri centre holiday for our 25th anniv to san francisco / hawaii , waikiki beach, then 3 nights in las vagas with virgin holidays . i would thoroughly recomend all three places we had 4 nights san fran with a great city , pier 39 etc flight time approx 11 hours . transfer to honolulu 5 hrs for 7 nights for a fantastic city & beach hol ,back to las vagas for a mind blowing end to our holiday .Thomas cook arranged all our flights & hotels all 5* & got upgraded at all of them free , worth every penny quite tiring with the time changes though , hope this has given you some help all the best , regards , chris