We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honolulu/maui accom with family

sydney, australia
1 post
Save Topic
honolulu/maui accom with family

It has been at least 15 years since I last travelled overseas. Have been to hnl twice both times when I was single and working in travel industry. Am at a loss at what hotels to book in hnl and maui travelling with husband and 2 children 8 and 12 years. Also have been a bit spoilt working in travel got to stay at very nice hotels at low prices. Would like to know if anyone can recommend good, clean three to four star which offers any good deals for families. Also should stay in hnl or maui first. Thanks

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

HHV and Outrigger Waikiki on the beach seem to be recommended alot. Oahu if you stay around Waikiki is busier I think than Maui but it depends upon the individual.

Mentioned in this post
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Outrigger Waikiki Beach...
5,246 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

2+2,

Did you post this question on the Maui forum? I think you'll get many replies.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

Resortquest has several good hotels & condos.

Outrigger has several good hotels & condos.

Hilton Hawaiian Village is nice.

Halekulani is considered the best in Waikiki.

Sheraton Moana is nice.

Royal Hawaiian is nice.

www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.html…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

www.visit-oahu.com Free brochure. Over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants & attractions in the brochure & on the site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages.

Mentioned in this post
Halekulani Hotel
Halekulani Hotel
2,678 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Middleton, WI
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

I recommend Hilton Hwn Village for kids for easy beach access and things to do.

On Maui, the nicer hotels are in Wailea end. The Grand Wailea is an awesome waterpark -- your kids would go nuts over it.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf...
6,955 Reviews
Maui, HI
Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

In Oahu stay at the Kahala resort if you don't want to be in the middle of the hussle and bussle of Waikiki. The Kahala is also a five star resort. In Maui the best family resort is definatly The Grand Wailea. The pool area is a gigantic water park.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
3,071 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf...
6,955 Reviews
Maui, HI
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

I would recommend staying Maui first, the Oahu. My reason for this is flying from Australia it is easier to connect to an interisland flight to Maui on the day you arrive, rather than rushing back from Maui to connect to an International Flight back to Oz. I guess this also depends on who you are flying with, Jetstar leave Honolulu at 9.15am and Qantas leave around 11am but either way you would have to get a very very early flight from Maui back to Honolulu and dont forget to leave at least 2 hours for International check-in.

Hotels, in Maui we love the Sheraton. It is right at the end of Kaanapali Beach with beautiful surrounding grounds and it seems to be more spread out rather than being on top of another hotel.

In Waikiki, we always stay at the Pacific Beach which we love because it is central to everything, right opposite the beach and only a 5 min walk to shops, restaruants, transport etc. It does have a pool but it is only small (and cold). If your kids like pools I would have to say I think the Hilton Hawaiian Village would be great. It is down the other end of Waikiki, but on the beachfront and probably a 10 min walk into Waikiki.

Hope you have a great trip :-)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,521 Reviews
Maui, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kingston
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

I agree with the Pacific Beach. We stayed in a condo 2 blocks from the beach however we would choose PacBeach due to it's location across from the beach and proximty to everything else. While in Maui we stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel just west of Lahaina. It's got a Hawaiian atmosphere with a few activities during the day to interest everyone. The pool is a good size (shaped like a whale) which suits both swimmers and non-swimmers.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,521 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

I would recommend the Ala Moana Hotel. The Ala Moana has been recently renovated with brand new stylish furniture. The Ala Moana is very centrally located next to the Ala Moana Shopping Center and not far from great restaurants and the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,590 Reviews
Oahu, HI
9. Re: honolulu/maui accom with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 13:17