We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

Kentucky
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

Last year on his birthday birthday weekend my husband was sitting outside in a 100 degree weather and then later at a dry wedding reception while I served as a matron of honor... so the stakes are high and I need to show him a wonderful birthday weekend this year..

Coming in June and we have tickets to a Red's game on Saturday night. I want to come Friday and leave sometime Sunday but I don't know where to stay, where to eat, where to go. Looking for some romantic and some full out male testastrone filled activities. PLEASE HELP.....

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

How about a canoe trip down the Little Miami Scenic River? You can rent Canoes in downtown Loveland for a 2 or 4 hour trip. You can also fish out of them.

www.cincinnatiusa.com/VisitorInfo/detail.asp…

Also in downtown Loveland, you can rent bikes for the bike trail that runs along the river. takes about an hour or more depending on how far up the river you want to go.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

The Beach Waterpark in Mason (Kings Mill Exit about 25 miles north of the OH/KY border on I-71) will be open and in full swing by then. That's guaranteed to get his testosterone flowing full throttle!

http://thebeachwaterpark.com/

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

There's the Hofbrau Haus in Newport, KY across the river for beer with oompah music. If he wants a good steak, there's a number of restaurants by Jeff Ruby - one near the Aronoff, another called the Precint about 10 min from downtown. There's also the Celestial which has steaks and a romantic view of Cinci from Mt Adams. After dinner, there are a number of bars up that area, but someone else would have to give you recos for those. For ribs, there's the Montgomery Inn Boathouse on the river. If he's into gambling, you can maybe come to Cinci via the riverboats in Indiana.

There's a few rock-climbing places around town too and some good golf courses.

BB

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

There is also Coney Island, you can swim and they have limited rides. Also Paramount Kings Island, located close to the Beach, which a earlier poster told you about. Kings Island would have all kinds of rides, also a nice water park is included with your admission. Depending on your hubby, maybe a trip to our zoo would be nice. Have fun. Hope the Reds are doing better for your game, so it will be enjoyable.

Boston...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

I would try Coney Island if you are looking for swimming, they have a huge pool with diving boards, a huge deep end and a couple of water slides. Kings Island on the other hand is about three times more expensive but has the roller coasters (many thrills) and a huge water parks with many more slides than Coney. Although if you are in downtown Coney would be about half the distance of Kings Island. Hope his birthday is fantastic.

Hickory, NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

We recommend staying at The Westin. It is at the famous Fountain Square on Vine Street. There is also a large television screen on the square (usually airing sports or ongoing events in town). There is a brewery located on the square called, Rock Bottom. A great place for after game drinks. The Westin is also a very close walking distance to Great American Ballpark. You can also take a nice walk across one of the bridges and go to Newport, KY for drinks at the Haufenbrau Hause (German Pub). The Haufenbrau Hause is more family oriented in the day and more of a night-club with a relaxed atmosphere in the evening. You will find people dancing on the tables and wooden benches throughout the pub. There is easy access to taxis and/or a bus, if you can't walk back. If you can't stay at The Westin, the Cincinnatian is also nice and close to Fountain Square. Don't stay at the Millenium. The whole place literally stinks, especially the rooms and the thermastat didn't work in our room. There are also a couple hotels in Covington, KY that provide shuttle service to and from Great American Ballpark. We have been going to Cincinnati every year for 3 years and enjoy it everytime. You need to go to Taste of Cincinnati over Memorial Day weekend sometime. Three days of food, music, food, beer, food, mixed drinks and again more food.

Hope you have fun,

Wyatt & Gina

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

Depending on your budget - I would recommend th Embassy Suites in Covington, KY embassysuites.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml…

- it's right on the river, great view of the Cincy skyline - at one point they even had a manager's happy hour each evening with free cocktails and snacks.- We stayed there for my hubby's birthday getaway (okay we're 20 min from there!). It's close to Newport which has a lot of places to eat/things to do (www.newportonthelevee.com) - we went to the Aquarium, had lunch at the Claddagh Irish Pub, caught a movie (all at newport on the levee). There's even a Gameworks there with lots of video games/virtual cars, etc.

Hofbrauhaus is fun (and these all would be a short cab ride if imbibing too much) You can actually walk across the bridge to get to the Reds stadium as well.

Another hotel would be the Marriott RiverCenter - which is just down the street from the Embassy Suites

another one of our favorite restaurants in is the Mainstrasse area of Covington http://www.nkyvillage.com/

- deefelice cafe - http://www.deefelice.com/

(on certain nights they have live jazz music - the band is on a ledge area behind the bar)

have fun! (hopefully the Reds will shape up their game soon!)

8. Re: Need a Wow Weekend Plan for Hubby B-Day Wkend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 11:23