We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aquarium??

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
aquarium??

We are coming in on June 29th for the baseball game. I think as of now we are staying at Holiday Inn Riverfront. Any place cheaper??? Also is the aquarium worth the price? There are 5 of us.

Thanks

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: aquarium??

thanks for the ideas.

I just talked to hubby and he wants to be able to walk to the ball park. Is it safe to do this after a game? We are from St Louis and have done this a few times after games there . Which hotel would be cheapest and closest? I have learned from past bookings that some peoples idea of walking distance is not the same as others, lol.

Thanks again

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: aquarium??

Has anyone here used Hotwire.com to book a hotel? There is a 2.5 star rated dowtown hotel for only $55 (or close to that) a night.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: aquarium??

The hotels that are walking distance to the ball park are expensive IMO plus you have to pay to park at all of them.What price range.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: aquarium??

Cheap and close are a tough combination. There are areas where I would feel fine walking back to my hotel and others where I wouldn't. A friend of mine and I were walking downtown and went from feeling comfortable to being on a deserted, kind of scary street from one block to the next on a Friday night. I would think it would be busier and therefore feel safer right after a game, however.

Garfield Suites in downtown Cincinnati says it's within walking distance of the ballpark. I haven't been there, so I couldn't tell you how safe the neighborhood feels.

The people posting on the Budget Honeymoon hotel post had a lot of success with Priceline and Hotwire. I did read on one of the sites that they recommended that Hotwire inflates their stars a bit.

Newport is across the river and is practically all new hotels, and Covington (where the Holiday Inn Riverfront is) is mostly new hotels. Safetywise, Covington is a bit of a mix still. (As is downtown Cincinnati.) Some nice parts, some not so nice. Newport feels generally safe, although I'd always be careful in any city. You might consider bidding specifically in Newport on Priceline or Hotwire. You CAN walk across the Purple People Bridge to Newport, although I'm not sure if that's too much walking for the little ones.

Here's a link to the shuttle. It has a link to a map of the route which gives you an idea of hotels in the area and attractions right along the river.

www.tankbus.org/index.asp?id=1005&subid=2034

Good luck!

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: aquarium??

Hotwire 2.5 star is most likely Ramada inn downtown and is not walkable.If wanting to stay downtown be prepared to spend some cash Imo.

I know courtyard by marriott in covington,Ky right across the bridge has a free schuttle to the park.Their rates are about $149.00 a night,

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: aquarium??

As we've said before, the most convenient places are the most expensive. If you are lucky and get a great deal on Priceline on a wonderful hotel within walking distance, I'll be so happy for you!

If Priceline doesn't work for you, if it were me, and I wanted to go to a game and enjoy everything on the riverfront on a budget (there are times to splurge and times not to), I'd get a hotel in the Florence area since there are several with good reviews in the $65-$75 range. (Extended Stay America in Florence for $65 with 2 Queens and a little kitchen area on Orbitz., for example.) The Florence area also has regular stores, so you can pick up snacks or anything else you might have forgotten.

Then I would hop on the interstate and drive the 20 minutes or so to one of the parking areas listed on the shuttle website (or park on the street if you find a spot), and then take the shuttle/walk to everything. Driving from Florence to Newport/Covington is very easy.

Even when I'm coming from Cincinnati, I drive across the river and park in the Newport/Covington area because it's easier to find a free/cheap parking spot over there and it's easy to walk back across the Purple People bridge to anything I want to do on the Cincinnati side of the river. (I'm sure parking will be more challenging when there's a home game, but I usually find a good spot pretty easily.)

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful visit to the Cincinnati area!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: aquarium??

is it safe to walk across the purple bridge after a ballgame?? The hotels are cheaper there.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: aquarium??

I think so. I haven't walked it right after a game (when I usually feel better because there is a sea of people) but I have been there pretty late at night and I felt pretty safe. It's a city at night, of course, but there are certainly much scarier places in Cincinnati.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: aquarium??

Yes there will be others walking across the bridge also.If you stay in covington there is a skyline there across the street from the Holiday inn.If you have any other questions let us know we will be happy to help.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: aquarium??

If your kids like pirates, the morning after your ballgame is the World Premiere of Real Pirates at the Cincinnati Museum Center., by National Geographic. Opens on June 30, 2007. Adults $16.50, Kids $10.50--Plus $5 Parking.

Actual artifacts recovered from the wreck of a unique ship—The Whydah—take visitors on a voyage back to the days of piracy in the early 18th century Caribbean, a time when the region was the economic engine of the early modern world. See the actual ship's bell that was the proof that the ship was the Whydah. Weapons and armaments, objects including clay pipes, a teakettle, wine spigots and an inkwell, and golden treasure bring this world to life. These artifacts, recovered by underwater explorer Barry Clifford, tell the compelling story of the slave ship that became a pirate ship commanded by "Black Sam" Bellamy. Meet many of the real people who populated this world: artisans, musicians and gold workers from West Africa, slave ship captains, Native American divers, impoverished sailors from all over Europe, pirates of all origins, and not just men but women and a boy of no more than 11 years. The Whydah, filled with treasure, sank off the coast of Cape Cod in April, 1717, in a storm.

www.cincymuseum.org