We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

Central Virginia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

HI,

We are traveling to Chicago from Central Va. We plan to stop overnight in Cincinnati, visit the zoo Monday, July 16th and then travel the rest of the day to Chicago.

We have two adults & 3 kids (10, 7 and 3 1/2) in our family. I would love any and all recommendations/tips for the zoo.

What are the cheapest tickets we can find? Do local restauarnts offer coupons? I saw on the zoo site that if we buy ahead (print on our computer) they reduce prices $1 each child, $2 each adult. Is that the best we can hope for?

How is lunch at the zoo? Any recommendations? Since our time is limited we really can't leave for lunch elsewhere & come back.

What animals/exhibits do you consider "must see"? We have the manatees at the top of our list since we have never seen them. We also want pics of the reptile house (old monkey house) because of the American Girl book, "Danger at the Zoo" being based there.

I have read there are lots of hills/walking. We have been to the Asheboro, NC zoo. Anyone here done both & can compare the two?

How long does it take to visit the zoo? Do you think it is a half day or full day adventure?

TIA,

Bren

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

Hi again Bren! (I replied to your Chicago post.)

Hopefully other people will jump in soon because I haven't been to the Cincinnati zoo in a long time, but I wanted to let you know that I saw that you can get 50% off at least one child's admission M-F if you have an Cincinnati Entertainment book. (www.entertainment.com) They're currently just $9.99 (down from $27) You can also get 2 for 1 BB riverboat cruises, restaurant discounts and a lot of other things with the book, so it would pay for itself right away.

I'm not positive, but I heard awhile ago that you can get zoo discounts with a Kroger card. Does anyone else know if that's still true?

Enjoy your trip!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

BTW: I read an earlier zoo post that said it's a good idea to pack a picnic lunch since the food isn't all that great.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

(Maybe if I keep replying, it will bump it up to the point that others will jump in!)

I asked my sister who went with me to the zoo all those years ago, and neither of us remember it being especially hilly, certainly not more than the rest of Cincinnati. Cincinnati is definitely hilly in comparison to the flat parts of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc. but I wouldn't think that you'd consider it all that bad in comparison to NC or VA.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

Admission

GENERAL ADMISSION

Adult admission - $12.95

Children (2-12) - $7.95

Seniors (62+) - $10.95

Children (under 2) - FREE

Parking is $6.50

STROLLER RENTAL

Single Stroller $7.50

Double Stroller $13.00

Manual Wheel Chair $7.50

Electric Wheel Chair $30.00

ADMISSION: GROUP RATES AND SERVICES

Special rates are available to groups of 15 or more who make

reservations a minimum of three working days prior to their visit.

Prices are as follows:

Adults - $10.95

Children (2-12) - $6.95

Seniors (ages 62 & older) - $9.95

Children (under two) are FREE.

Ticketing Programs and Picnic/Event facilities available for larger groups. For more information, call the Group Sales office at (513) 559-7739.

All admission rates are subject to change without notice.

Click here for School Admission Rates

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

Dining & Shopping

There are plenty of places to eat and drink at the Zoo. The Zoo regularly features Cincinnati favorites such as LaRosa's, Skyline Chili and UDF and has a great selection of food and beverages.

And, the Zoo is a perfect place to find unique gifts for everyone on your list. We have three specialty gift shops that stock a full-range of items.

The following restaurants and gift shopsare open depending upon weather and conditions:

Restaurants and Food Stands

Rhino Cafe Located across from the Spaulding Children’s Zoo. Enjoy LaRosa’s pizza, grill items, sandwiches and more. OPEN EVERY DAY.

Banana Cabana Enjoy Smoothies and beverages. Located next

to Kroger Lords of the Arctic.

Burger King Home of the “Whopper!” Located at Whiting Safari Camp.

The Cantina Choose from ICEEs, popcorn, soft pretzels, cotton candy, and beverages. Located across from the Rhino Cafe.

Dippin’ Dots Space-age treats to keep you cool! Located just down the path from the entrance to Vanishing Giants.

Jungle Java Get refreshed with Starbucks-brewed hot- and iced-coffee drinks, beer, and iced-tea. Located at Whiting Safari Camp.

LaRosa’s Choose from pizza, snacks, beer and other refreshments. Located across from Kroger Lords of the Arctic.

Potato Works Enjoy hot, fresh-cut fries, a cool ICEE or chocolate-frozen bananas! Located by the train station, attached to the Family Zoo Shop.

Skyline Chili Footlong Express A Cincinnati favorite! Located next to Eagle Eyrie.

UDF Ice Cream Cool down with hand-dipped ice cream, sundaes, and shakes. Located across from Kroger Lords of the Arctic.

Wild Dogs Build your own Kahn’s hot dog! Located next to Burger King in Whiting Safari Camp.

Gift Shops

Cincinnati Zoo Shop Located in the main Zoo entrance.

Botanical Garden Shop Located next to the Botanical Center in the main entry area, the Botanical Garden Shop is filled with new and exciting items for your garden and home.

Family Zoo Shop Located at the entrance to the Children’s Zoo, the Family Zoo Shop offers fun merchandise for the whole family.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

Home > Exhibits > Animal Exhibits

Animal Exhibits

Animal Exhibits

1 - Penguin Walkabout

2 - Spaulding Children's Zoo & Wolf Woods

3 - Wings of the World

4 - Jungle Trails

5 - Kroger Lords of the Arctic

6 - Siegfried & Roy's White Lions of Timbavati

7 - Flamingo Cove

8 - Tiger Canyon

9 - Manatee Springs

10 - CREW Public Exhibit

11 - Dragons of Komodo

12 - Lemur Lookout

13 - Nocturnal House

14 - World of the Insect

15 - Passenger Pigeon Memorial

16 - Cat House

17 - Gorilla World

18 - Monkey Island

19 - Reptile House

20 - Eagle Eyrie

21 - Wildlife Canyon

22 - Sumatran Rhino

23 - Vanishing Giants

24 - Swan Lake/Wetland Trails

25 - Gibbon Islands

26 - Red Panda

There is approx 70 acres to cover that is with the Botanical Gardens. Enjoy your trip !!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

I'm glad to hear they have a Skyline! I was going to suggest stopping at one before leaving Cincinnati. With a 3-way from Skyline and a scoop of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough from UDF, you should be set! Have a great trip!

Northern Kentucky
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

I forgot about the Skyline and LaRosa's, because the zoo food itself isn't that great.

Skyline is excellent (and worth it to experience the Cincinnati chili); however I love LaRosa's pizza. Better than the national chains in my opinion. However, since you're going to Chicago, you'd probably want to experience the Chicago-style pizza up there.

Yes, the Cincinnati zoo is unusually hilly. I can't compare it to Asheboro though since I've never been there.

I think you can do the zoo in a half day. Have fun.

Central Virginia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

THANK YOU for all the info.! It was very helpful. Sorry it took me forever to reply, but we have been swamped the past week.

My DD would LOVE the pizza & the hot dogs would be perfect for the boys. Not sure my kids would go for Chicago syle pizza or hot dogs, so this may be even better for them.

We are going to come with walking shoes & be ready for a fun filled day.

Thanks again (esp. Lily for bumping this thread up!)

Bren & crew

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Cincy Zoo tips/recommendations

The zoo is hilly, but there is shade. I have not been in a year, but I would say how long to plan on for the day depends if you are going to the animal show and if you read all the exhibit info, it would tend to be more like a 3/4 day, but you will be tired at the end of the day.