We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodies Exhibit

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bodies Exhibit

Has anyone been to the bodies exhibit at the Cincinnati museum? I am very interested in seeing it as I am a health professional but wanted to get some reviews before hand.

Thanks.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bodies Exhibit

Saw "Body Worlds 2" in Cleveland at the Great Lakes Science Center a few years ago. For those who haven't heard of this exhibit, it's a blend of art and science -- donated human bodies and organs preserved through a process called plastination. The human body in all its elegance and complexity...it's phenomenal. Wherever it's gone, there's been debate among ethicists, religious leaders, and the public over whether it's right to have dead bodies sliced and diced for display at a museum, but I think the exhibit may increase appreciation for creation and the dignity of the human person.

The bodies themselves are the focus with smaller organ-based displays in between. The body displays are in cases, as I recall, partially cut apart and arranged to show the complexity and beauty of a particular system. The organ exhibits I remember showed healthy organs compared to various conditions (a healthy brain vs tumor/stroke) or demonstrating the damage caused by smoking and alcohol abuse.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bodies Exhibit

There is some dispute about the "donation" of the bodies. Perhaps you want to look into the ethics of plasticizing human bodies before you pay up.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bodies Exhibit

"Bodies...the Exhibition" is the one in cinci right now, and is the display under scrutiny. "Body Worlds" is considered the better of the two exhibits, and all of those bodies are strictly donated.

that being said, i've heard Bodies is very good, if you have no objection as to where the bodies may have come from.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
476 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bodies Exhibit

My brother has been to both and said that Body World 2 was better. I saw a sister of Bodies the Ex. in Las Vegas and thought it was really short and probably a copy of things to see in Body World. To me it looked just like they took off the skin and then posed them where my brother described Body World as having a lot more cross sections with more detail of different parts. They have body parts behind glass but you can see that at almost any health museum.

If you have questions on ethics of it please don't go it's still amazing regardless.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bodies Exhibit

Thanks for all the comments. I did go to the exhibit and I really enjoyed it. As I said, I am a health professional and did it more a as a review. I do think it is shorter than Body World. I spent alot of time in the first half of the exhibit that was bone and muscle and not as much in the rest as my husband and children were in other parts of the musuem waiting for me.

I was amazed by how many people with younger children were in there. I was also amazed at how loudly people were talking and how close people came to touch the exhibits.

6. Re: Bodies Exhibit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 16:19