We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anniversary trip

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
anniversary trip

My husband and I are taking a few days away to go to Cincy for the first time. We are going to The Body exhibit and a reds game....any suggestions on dining, hotels, bars, after the game places to eat.....We are excited to be going away. It is our 11 yr anniv.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anniversary trip

Look at staying on the KY side. Covington and New Port, KY have it all over downtown Cincinnati. I know I'm gonna take some hits over this one. However, for an anniversary, it's a special occasion and you should be given the straight scoop. Go to Riverboat Row and party your brains out! Look at the Embasy Suites and go to Beale Street Cafe! Enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anniversary trip

What kind of atmosphere are you looking for for your dinner? How about bars? The establishments within walking distance of the ballpark run the gamut.

Detroit
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anniversary trip

Thanks Turnerbudd....I will keep that in mind. Partying my brains out that is. Kendaltr....As far as dinner goes, we would like a nice place, not a shirt and tie type. What about on the KY side? We have been to Brio.

As far as after the game (Friday night) we would like a not too packed sort of place with an "after the game atmosphere". I heard there is a beer place at the Levee.....

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
681 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anniversary trip

Try the Hilton Netherland Plaza

http://www.cincinnatihilton.com/

for a very fine hotel with lots of character and easy access to all of the new restaurants and bars on or near Fountain Square. It is an easy walk to GABP (Red's stadium) as well. The "beer place" at Newport on the Levee is Hofbrauhaus Newport.

http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/

It has a fantastic beer garden (as authentic as you will see on this side of the Atlantic) and it and the Levee (as well as GABP) are easily reached (about 5 minutes depending on traffic) from the Netherland via the Southbank Shuttle (1.25 per ride).

See Cincinnati Magazine for more information on dining.

www.cincinnatimagazine.com/article.aspx…

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anniversary trip

My husband and I just celebrated our 7 year anniversary. So congrats to you guys. We really enjoyed our dinner on the BB Riverboat. It is a lot of fun. You may want to check them out.

http://www.bbriverboats.com/index.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Detroit
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anniversary trip

Thanks NattiDaddy.....you are a wealth of info. Have you been to Cincy a few times? Sure seems like it. I will look into your ideas. Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anniversary trip

Your choice of bars may be influenced by whether you or your husband are smokers. There is no smoking allowed inside Ohio bars or restaurants. I love Hofbrauhaus, the German-styled beer hall and garden in Newport KY, but right after the ball game it will be packed to the gills. The respective scenes at the Newport and Downtown bars are be a little different, with the average age downtown being a couple years older and the overall crowd in Kentucky having more of a southern feel (despite being only a couple miles away). You will have a great time either way and your smoking preference and hotel location will likely be the deciding factors.

As for dinner, Newport on the Levee has a couple nicer restaurants, including Brio and Mitchell's (seafood). They are chains, so you will know what to expect. The riverwalk at the Levee also affords a nice view of the Cincinnati skyline.

But since you are driving all this way to another city, you should feel like you're out of town. I recommend an early evening visit to the Carew Tower observatory deck, an aperitif at the incomparable Palm Court bar in the Hilton Netherland Plaza hotel, dinner at a restaurant near Fountain Square (preferably somewhere locally owned, such as JeanRo Bistro or Nada), followed by a scoop of ice cream from Graeter's for dessert or an after-dinner drink. You will want to make a reservation if you choose to dine downtown.

Have a great time in Cincinnati!

Detroit
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anniversary trip

Thanks Kendyltr.....okay....we did priceline and got a room at the marriott rivercenter (for $125)....we will be close to all you mentioned. Does anyone know if they have shuttles from one side of the river to the other? I looked up Arnies the other day and it looked like a younger persons crowd...(I am 45 and my husband is 47)but....we are on vaca so what the hey......I had seen Nada before and was thinking of trying that.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
681 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anniversary trip

Hi narlytoes,

With regard to the above, I'm a native.

tankbus.org/RoutesSchedules/…Default.aspx

In addition to regular bus routes the Southbank Shuttle operates regularly between Cincinnati, Newport and (where you will be staying) Covington. At 1.25 per ride it is a fairly cheap and convenient way of getting around when/if you don't feel like walking. The distinctive blue buses are also easy to spot. Since you have chosen Covington you may want to wander the Main Strasse Village area (directly south of your hotel and easy to walk to and around) for bars and restaurants. I was in the area last week and was pleasantly surprised with the options.

Chez Nora and the De Felice Cafe are good options for dinner and both have music as well. For something different and worth seeking out, try

the Riverside Korean Restaurant (not far from your hotel). It is first rate . . .

http://www.riversidekoreanrestaurant.com/

For late night, adult entertainment keep The Blue Wisp Jazz Club in mind.

http://www.thebluewisp.com/

The music can be very good and now that there is no smoking in Ohio, you can not only hear but even see the musicians and breath while doing so. Enjoy your visit.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
681 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anniversary trip

And just to clarify as one can't edit a post on this site, the Blue Wisp is on the Cincinnati side and if you find yourselves stumbling out of here late, take a cab back to your hotel or at least to the Suspension Bridge where you can walk across and back.