We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

Long Island, NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

Hi. My wife and I are leaving tomorrow to spend a few days in Cincinnati. We are staying at the Westin downtown and are going to Riverbend for Dave Matthews concert and Reds game on Wednesday.

My questions are:

1. I don't plan on renting a car, and will walk to ballgame and taxi to Riverbend. Will it be a problem finding a taxi for our return from Riverbend back to downtown late Tues. night?

2. It seems like we'd be able to walk via the pedestrian bridge to Newport on the Levee. Is that s safe walk, etc? (I have heard some comments about Cincinnati being a bit unsafe but don't know what areas that applies to; and I don't mean to offend anyone here).

We're looking forward to our visit. Any other advice or info is much appreciated.

THank you,

Mitch

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

Its a real shame that there is no public transportation to and from Riverbend events so I think it might be wise to arrange a ride back before you leave for the show as the venue is not very close to downtown (shouldn't take more than a few phone calls). The Westin is an easy walk to GABP and a good stroll across the river to Newport (and if you don't feel like walking, you can always take the Southbank Shuttle). Generally, the area downtown is safe, especially on game-day with lots of other people around and with a very visible police presence in and around the CBD and hotels around Fountain Square (where you are staying). Use the ordinary precautions you would when visiting any urban area and you are extremely unlikely to encounter any problems at all. I'd be curious to know how the taxi situation to and from Riverbend works out for you. Perhaps you could post back when you return from your trip? Enjoy.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

The message board on Tripadvisor defaults to Newport, RI when "Newport" is entered (not that one could ever confuse one for the other:)

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

. . . and since one cannot edit a post, just testing to see if Newport, KY will work as a link . . .

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

Mitch:

1. I would doubt that there are free taxis waiting for people who may happen to have no prearranged rides. So you might want to take the phone number of a taxi company. But you may get charged mileage for the trip they take there to pick you up, in addition to the regular mileage to deliver you back to your hotel.

2. Personally I would have no concerns. I have only heard of one freak incident on the bridge. I don't think you need to take any extra precautions on the bridge. Downtown is generally pretty safe. Most of the unsafe areas are areas you're probably not going to be in.

covington, ky
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

I would take the shuttle bus to Newport On The Levee and not go there from the Cincinnati side. You can pick up the shuttle on the same block as the Westin. Anyone at the hotel should be able to tell you where. There are signs for the shuttle bus at the stops. You can also go to www.tankbus.org for info on the shuttle bus.

Long Island, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

Thanks to the last poster for reminding me to post again, post-visit.

We had a great time in Cincinnati last week. After reading the responses here, and other info., I decided to rent a car at the airport and it was a great decision. We had it for the whole stay when needed, and it was an easy ride to Riverbend and didn't have to worry about taxis, etc. We also drove to dinner at Primavista (Mt Adams?) one night. Fantastic restaurant and view.

We walked from Downtown to Newport and back (daytime) via the Purple Bridge and it was a great walk.

It is a great city and we had a wonderful stay. Thanks again.

7. Re: Quick Questions Re: Cincy Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 06:27