We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

Hello!

I am planning on taking my wife somewhere to celebrate her 30th birthday in late November. We are planning on going Sunday, November 23-Tuesday, November 25.

We are trying to decide which city- Cincinnati or Indianapolis- would be more fun for us. We are the same age and this will be our first trip away from our 4 month old baby.

We are looking for fun just walking around and relaxing, going to a couple nice restaurants, and perhaps other entertainment in general. We are not that interested in the bar scene anymore just to drink, but maybe if there is a band or other entertainment there. Last time we were in Cincinnati we went to the Newport which was pretty fun; we've never been to Indianapolis.

Can you help us decide?

- John

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

Well you've already been to Cincinnati and know what's here so I don't need to describe that for you. You might go do Indy, which you've never been to before. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum is there, but I don't think there's much else that's that entertaining now but there will be later when your kid gets bigger because they have probably the country's best Childrens Museum. So, instead of Indy I'd recommend Chicago. It's probably only a 5 and a half hour drive from Columbus and it has tons of stuff to do. In fact you can get a GREAT deal there that time of year. We went one Thanksgiving and it was great. We got a room at the posh Hilton Towers for only $99 per night the day befor Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Thursday, and the Friday after that. The Saturday the rate shot up to $219. I guess the reason is that there are no business travelers over Thanksgiving, and actually not many family travelers either because most people celebrate Thanksgiving at home so the hotel gives a very good rate to get people in. The weekend before and after Thanksgiving were back up to the normal hotel rates, or even more. Chicago is great that time of year. There is a great Thanksgiving parade, and several festivals, notably the Kristkindl Market on Daley Plaza with lots of genuine German craft people over for the show.

http://www.christkindlmarket.com/

www.choosechicago.com/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.themagnificentmile.com/

www.chicagotraveler.com/things-to-do.htm

In fact just talking about it makes me want to go again this year to see all the things I haven't yet seen in prior trips.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

I just love Indy. Since youve been to Cincy. Going somewhere new would be perfect to celebrate your wifes 30th. There sooo many restaurants in Indy. Stay at a downtown hotel. Go to museums during day, theres so many to choose from. Take a carrage ride before dinner, they talk about the town and its a wonderful, romantic, thing to do. Then to dinner, my suggestion: Ruth Chris, there so attentive. When making reservations at any of Indy's great restaurants, make sure you mention your wifes birthday your celebrating, and ask if they do anything special for birthday celebrations. After dinner, may I suggest Slippery Noodle for dancing. It is a bar, but, they have the best bands around for dancing. My husband and I made sure we went our last 2 trips to Indy. Walk to LePeep for breakfast from your hotel, and if theres a wait, go to war museum under statue, its only a couple blocks away from lepeeps (its not the monument circle one). Indy has alot of things to do, even on the drive in, try to go to the Indy speedway museum, its at the speedway. Its great. I love Indy, my sister lives in Indy, and when we go, we stay downtown, because its so electric and fun. You wont be sorry....have fun what ever you decide, and Happy 30th to her.. :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
288 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

I am originally from Cleveland, OH. I currently live in Cincinnati, OH, and I lived in Indianapolis from June 2006 - June 2007.

I think you'll have a wonderful time in either city!

Indianapolis has a very safe, clean downtown area. Ruth Chris and the Slippery Noodle are great dinner/entertainment recommendations, as a previous reviewer suggested. If you're looking for a good steak dinner a few other suggestions would be:

Mo's (www.mosaplaceforsteaks.com/) or

St. Elmos (www.stelmos.com). There are many, many other restaurants in the downtown area if steak is not your thing (McCormicks and Schmicks, Oceanaire, Palomino, Rock Bottom Brewery, Alcatraz Brewery, Claddaughs Irish Pub, etc.)

Le Peep in Indianapolis is a great breakfast suggestion, as above... and another great option (I prefer over Le Peep) is Cafe Patachou (www.cafepatachou.com)

Mass Ave. is one of 6 cultural districts in Indy and is another fun place to have dinner and/or drinks and wander around. You can check it out at http://www.discovermassave.com/home.cfm. There is a pizza place on Mass Ave. called Bazbeaux Pizza, and it is the best!

Finally, I'd check out http://www.indy.org/. The website actually has a lot of information on things to do around the city!

----------------

Cincinnati is a fairly different city than Indianapolis. To me, the downtown area seems a little more cultured, whereas after living in Indy, I thought the downtown area almost seemed like a glorified suburb! (Don't take that the wrong way, I LOVE Indy!). Downtown Cincinnati is definatly more scenic (with all the bridges, hills, etc). You can easily travel between the downtown area, Covington, KY, Newport, KY, Mt. Adams (www.mtadamstoday.com/), etc.

In Cincinnati you'll have to be sure to visit Fountain Square (www.myfountainsquare.com). There is also a great little german villiage directly across the river in Covington, KY called Mainstrasse Villiage (www.mainstrasse.org).

Check out www.nkycvb.com/dining_nightlife.aspx for a great overview of what is available to do in Northern Kentucky. Newport, KY/Newport on the Levee is always a good time, but you've already found that :)

Cincinnati Museum Center is always a good day trip and they have an Omnimax theater (www.cincymuseum.org).

The only other "tid bit" I might add is that downton Indianapolis is slightly easier to navigate by foot. Indianapolis has a lot to offer in their immediate downtown area within walking distance to many hotels. Cincinnati, on the other hand, has a great downtown, but many of the little "pockets" of "uniqueness" may not be within WALKING distance from a hotel (in November only!!)

-------------------

You'll have fun in either city! I obviously have a lot to share, so don't hesitate to ask with more specific questions!

Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

Hello! I'm younger but my boyfriend and I love to travel, and aren't really into the bar scenes or anything. I have lived near both Cincy and Indy and both are wonderful cities!

I feel that Indy is easier to navigate, and the fountain in the middle of the city is lovely. Lots of good restaurants too!

But yes, Cincy is fun too, especially to pop down to Newport, or eat dinner on one of the restaurant/boats.

But I have to second the suggestion to visit Chicago. It is just an amazing city! I spent 8 weeks living in Chicago this summer, and still didn't see everything! There are so many romantic restaurants, and just walking along the Mag Mile is a good time (even if you don't spend any money!) You also have to walk down by the water, even in November, it is beautiful to see the Lake, and Millennium Park and the Bean sculpture! OH, what a city!!! Oh, I forgot to mention comedy shows and theatre as well if you are interested! Wicked= :)

I would choose to visit somewhere such as Indy, or CHICAGO! :)

Good luck planning, and I hope she has a wonderful Birthday!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

Have to agree with BGanchor. Chicago is an amazing town. Shop the loop, walk Lakeshore Dr. Get theater tickets and do dinner and a show. If you really want an incredible weekend away from baby, look at Chicago!

6. Re: Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2008, 14:17
usa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

I live in around Indy, there is a lot to do downtown and is very safe. Circle Center Mall, Embassy Suites, Ike and Jonesies, Ruth Chris, all within walking distance.

8. Re: Cincinnati or Indianapolis in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 15:21