We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th weekend

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
July 4th weekend

We are going to Cincinnati for the 4th of July weekend with our family and trying to find fun things to do with our kids who are 6 and 2.... Any recommendiations. We are going to the Reds game on Friday night (and see Fireworks).... Any ideas?? Any good places to eat??

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th weekend

Where will you be staying? What do you like to do? What kind of food do you enjoy?

Perhaps a visit to the Museum Center would be something you could all enjoy.

cincymuseum.org/explore_our_sites/…

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4th weekend

For the fourth of July I'd recommend you come up to Blue Ash for the "Red, White, and Boom" celebration. I believe it's the biggest in the area. There are big name acts from the 70's, 80's and 90's (e.g. Heart, REO Speedwagon, Three Dog Night, Charlie Daniels Band, etc.) Long fireworks. tens of thousands of people. blueash.com/filestorage/…SUMMER2009.pdf

I think Mason (http://www.imaginemason.org/) is vying for the honor though. Fortunately they have their big celebration July 3 (perhaps so as to not compete with Blue Ash) They had a huge party last year with a CCR band and good fireworks. If you have time after the Reds game, travel up to Mason, which will probably have better fireworks than the Reds. Huge crowds -- thousands of people. Kids zone, parachute jumps, etc. Huey Lewis and the News playing this year: www.imaginemason.org/pdfs/FFM-JunJul09.pdf

To eat, you might try Montgomery Inn Boathouse down on the Ohio River about a mile east of the ballpark. Great food, great service, great views, reasonable prices. McCormick and Schmick's on Fountain Square, and Palomino's overlooking Fountain square are also very good.

For the kids, definitely take them to the children's museum (http://www.cincymuseum.org/). They will certainly have fun there. There is a Newport Ducks tour that you might also enjoy. http://newportducks.com/

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4th weekend

I haven't been, but my brother took his 2 little ones (younger than your kids, even) to the Newport Aquarium and they really liked it. According to my sister (a HUGE Reds fan) there's a wonderful museum at the ball park about the Reds and thier history. Look up the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame on this site and you'll see tons of positive reviews for it.

Fairfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4th weekend

If you are near the Hyde Park area, have a meal at the Echo near Hyde Park Square. Great breakfast, easy on the budget. Make sure to have some Graeter's ice cream. It is the best in the world. Newport Aquarium would be fun, as would the Cincinnati Zoo. My firends who have young (2-4 years old)children love the zoo. My daughter loved it until she was out of elementary school.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4th weekend

We are staying in Florence KY.

Forest Park, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4th weekend

If you don't mind overdosing on baseball, check out the Florence Freedom frontier league team. They have a website, not sure of their schedule. We went once, it was cheap and very kid friendly. I second the vote for the Newport aquarium. You might want to check out the Greyhound Tavern in NKY for a meal, known for homemade fried chicken. They have a website as well. I am assuming you already know about Cincinnati style chili (Skyline, Dixie chili, Gold Star).

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4th weekend

We too will be in Cincy for the 4th. We're staying at the Embassy Suites in Covington. Is it worth it to try to eat at a restaurant near the riverfront on the 4th? I thought we might see fireworks over the city. We were thinking about the Chart House?!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 4th weekend

the city of Cincy does not set off fireworks for the 4th, but... if they are setting them off after the Reds game, the stadium sets right on the river. You would be able to see those anywhere along the river in the vicinity of Newport on the Levee. Watch from the Ky side of the river.

Indiana
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: July 4th weekend

Really? The city does not do any fireworks for the 4th? Well, that is a pretty big bummer for us since we also had planned to stay at the Embassy Suites on Saturday July 4th. We were even told that although we didn't have a riverview we could walk to an area where we could view the fireworks show. Are you sure?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July 4th weekend

I found out that on Fountain Square there will be a Sousa concert followed by a showing of Independence Day. During the movie fireworks will be fired off. I know this is surrounded by tall buildings but thought we might be able to see the fireworks anyways.