We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for chili?

WV
Level Contributor
447 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for chili?

I'm traveling to Cincinnati and heard that I must try the chili. Where is the best place to find some good chili? I'm looking for a local place, no chains. Thanks!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for chili?

well, dont expect traditional chili served in a bowl. cincinnati chili is a greek style, served over hotdogs or spaghetti, topped with finely shredded cheddar cheese. technically, even the chains are local. i'm partial to skyline chili.

however, for a strictly local place, i like Blue Ash chili on kenwood road in Blue Ash.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
730 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for chili?

The "local places" are in facts chains. Skyline and Gold Star dominate the landscape (they are ubiquitous) but there are others. Wherever you are in the area you will have a chili parlor within a mile or two so perhaps you could sample more than one flavor. I prefer Gold Star for taste but Skyline for presentation and atmosphere (such that there is any). Be aware that Cincy-style chili is not the thick spicy concoction that most people think of when they think of chili but rather a thin, sauce-like ground beef and spice blend served atop spaghetti and topped with your choice of beans, onions and cheese. Order a "5-way" for everything. I prefer my 5-way "inverted," meaning the sauce (uh, chili) is on top of the cheese, onions, and beans. Hot sauce is also a must. Must go, time for lunch . . .

Forest Park, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for chili?

Our favorite is Skyline (sometimes referred to as skah-lee-nee, our effort to make it sound more like fine dining). It is slightly spicier than Gold Star, but not quite as meaty. All of it is thin compared to what others think of as chili. Cheese coneys are another option. A three way is, spaghetti, chili and a huge mound of mild grated cheddar cheese, four way, add chopped onions OR beans, five way is onions AND beans. The best way to end the evening is to top it off with Graeter's ice cream. Anything with chocolate chips is worth killing for.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for chili?

My vote goes to Skyline. It's a chain but it's a local chain. Most of it's stores are in the Cinci area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for chili?

I vote for Gold Star.

Forest Park, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for chili?

Moneyneversleeps,

Skyline vs Goldstar. You are witnessing the argument that has divided Cincinnati for decades.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for chili?

No offense to my local friends, but they are woefully mistaken...

Blue Ash Chili? Really? Great double-decker sandwiches... skip the chili!

If you want local places that aren't chains... then, Camp Washington Chili off Hopple Street for four-ways, and Dixie Chili on Monmouth Street in Newport for cheese coneys (okay, they have three locations... not a chain).

You'll get other opinions, but they are all wrong! lol..

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for chili?

Have to chime in and agree with Needfood. The Colossal Burger from Blue Ash Chili actually rivals an In and Out Burger. There's a whole lot more than chili there. For Cincinnati Chili, that's a no brainer. Skyline. I am currently working on a project that involves a large number of high profile former Cincinnati pro athletes. And I was amazed to learn how many of them return to Cincy on a regular basis and one of their main reasons is Skyline! It's what they miss most. Go figure!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for chili?

Skyline for me. Local is Camp Washington Chili.

Cheers

Cincinnati
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for chili?

I prefer Gold Star Chili. It is much better tasting and spicier than Skyline Chili. I find Skyline very BLAND.

Get answers to your questions about Cincinnati
Recent Conversations