We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Istanbul
5 posts
Save Topic
fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Hello all,

We will be moving to Cincy on November(P&G).There are three things that we need help and any suggestion is more than wellcome:)

Could you please suggest us the best fitness center in town? Also, I am coming from a mediterranian country-turkey- and I am somewhat good at cooking our local&italian&french food. I would like to learn how to cook american&mexican&japanese food as well. Do you think I will be able to find a cooking class in town? And last but not the least, I am looking for your suggestions with regard to a massage center. I had a surgery a few years ago and it is a necessity for me to have it from time to time.

Many thanks to those who spare time and energy to reply: )

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

I believe Cincinnati State Community College has a Culinary School. I have never had a massage in Cincinnati so I can't answer that question.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Here's a list of cooking classes:

http://tinyurl.com/mstoxs

P&G has very nice exercise facilities on site with very reasonable rates. What site will you be working at? The disadvantage is that they aren't open weekends. In Mason, the Urban Active is fairly new and looks nice from the outside. Near Sharon Woods there is a Bally's Total Fitness. What part of town will you be living in?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Since you are interested in food amongst the first places you will want to visit upon settling in is Jungle Jim's International Market (about 25 minutes north of downtown in Fairfield). It is not the cheapest nor always the freshest (they have too many items to keep everything rotating on a regular basis)

and it is rather kitschy but it is the largest and best overall market/grocery store in the region. Their selection is extraordinary and they will accommodate special requests that no one else will.

A membership type store like Costco is also worth looking into. I shop their frequently and it is a nice place to stock up on olive oil, household cleaning items and they have a good meat section and even very respectable seafood on the weekend. Their mussels are as good a food bargain as you will find in town.

http://www.junglejims.com/

http://www.costco.com/

Too bad you aren't arriving until November as the weather will likely turn naughty by then.

Have you lived anywhere other than Istanbul? I hope so otherwise the culture shock may be overwhelming;)

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Welcome to Cinci! What part of town will you be moving to so I can give better answers to your questions. Also, which P&G location will you be based at? That way we can suggest options that are most convenient. Best, BB

Istanbul
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Hi again, Thank you very much for all of your suggestions:) Will check out the State college culinary school and can't wait to explore junglejims!!

We have been some major cities of Europe, US(NY and Boston) and Russia a while. But only for touristic reasons. I am sure that we are going to appretiate to city since we look very forward to the change.

Unfortunatelly, we do not know where my husband is going to locate yet.But we will have a look&see trip on October and will be able to find that out hopefully.

In any case,regardless of the place my husband starts his job what is the most elegant part of the city?

Best regars and many thanks in advance,

Sibel

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Hello again Sibel,

Although I think you would find the main body of this local blog largely indecipherable (much of it focuses on petty local political squabbles with a heavy undercurrent of urban versus suburban animus - including plenty of snobbery and jealousy on both sides – as well as our inescapable racial divide), it does provide some useful links that might be of help with your “orientation.”

http://cincinnati.blogspot.com/

The metropolitan area is spread out over a large geographical area with pockets of “elegance” in many different places. Indian Hill is the wealthiest area in the region but Wyoming, Glendale, Hyde Park, Mt. Adams and Clifton are much more charming in my opinion. There are numerous concentrations of very expensive housing in the far-flung suburbs of Butler and Warren counties (and beyond) as well as in Northern Kentucky (gigantic houses built along golf courses and the like) that I suppose would qualify as elegant. I think much depends upon what you have in mind.

http://www.starone.com/ is a good place to have a peek.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Of course that link to "Wyoming" is generated automatically by Trip Advisor. Information on Wyoming (Ohio) can be found here http://www.wyoming.oh.us/

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Sibel, Once you decide what part of town you and your husband will settle in, let us know. Since there are numerous good options for fitness centers, cooking classes, and massages we can then give you more convenient suggestions.

Nati gives you some good advice about some of the "elegant" areas in Cincinnati. Depending what your family needs are you can decide what part of town is best for you. Note that many of the suburbs are only a 20-40mins drive from other parts of the Cinci area, so "far-flung" is a relative term depending what you're used to. Jungle Jim's is in one of those suburbs - Fairfield. Many families choose a suburb because of the quality schools and access to sports programs, so if kids are a part of your equation that might be a factor in where you decide to settle down. Hopefully, you'll also be working with a good real-estate/relocation agent who can help answer questions and guide you to areas that meet your criteria before and during the brief visit in October. Best, BB

Istanbul
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Goodmorning again,

We are both 30 years old with no children.So, entertainment and shopping would be our primary interest I believe.

Based on your handy suggestions I think we are going to decide on Hyde park, Mt.Adams,Oakley location. Do you think it is in line with what we want? would you suggest somewhere else?

Have a nice day,

S.Kacmaz

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fitness center& cooking class& massage center

Hi! I think those are all great choices. I think that Hyde park and Oakley would have better access to shopping. When you do your visit I think you'll get a better feel for which neighborhood feels "right" for you. I'm up in the northern suburbs so I can't offer much guidance in that area for the best fitness facilities and massage centers. The one that comes to mind is off of I-71 at Pfeiffer Rd called the Trihealth Fitness & Wellness Pavilion, but I'm sure there are others that are closer to where you'll be looking. BB