We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish Style Delis in Cincinnati

Coconut Creek...
Level Contributor
218 posts
359 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish Style Delis in Cincinnati

I am planning to return to Cincinnati in early July. Which Jewish Style Delis would you recommend? An old travel book that I read suggested Izzy's.

Cincinnati, OH
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish Style Delis in Cincinnati

Izzy's is definitely still around, several new locations have opened recently. Also, while not a deli per se, Marx Hot Bagels is a Kosher bagle shop with sandwiches, soups, and the like.

http://www.cincinnati.com/dining/marx/

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish Style Delis in Cincinnati

There are two relatively new places. Irv's Kosher Deli (in the Dillonvale shopping enter in Deer Park) carries deli and has other good kosher food, but does not have a sit down restaurant. Avari's (in Blue Ash) is a a kosher/meat restaurant. It has some delicatessan plus soup and hot meat dishes.

Also Bilker's in Blue Ash serves kosher sandwiches. Vari and bilker's are near Marx Bagels (which is dairy) in Blue Ash. All are about a 10 minut drive from Irv's.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish Style Delis in Cincinnati

I hear much kvelling about the "Yummie Yummie Deli" in Roselawn. The owner immigrated from Russia, and keeps many fresh Eastern European delicacies in stock. She's done so well with this location that a second one is in the works in Cincy's northeastern suburbs. I'm not certain of this store's exact address, but it is on the odd-numbered side of Reading Road in the 7500 block. From the Paddock Rd exit off I-75, travel south to the first signaled intersection (Seymour Ave.) Turn left - east - on Seymour and go a short distance to the next major junction, which will be Reading Rd. Make a left, and the YY is about three blocks up. Throughout Greater Cincinnati, odd-numbered addresses are on the west and north sides of streets. So it will be on your left as you drive north on Reading Rd.

A sad but important note to make: The Roselawn neighborhood is struggling to maintain stability as its demographics shift. While it remains a pleasant and largely safe area, my word to the wise is to not visit after dark - and preferably during school hours.

As I no longer live in Cincinnati, I've yet to try the Yummie Yummie but am eager to. After all these years I still mourn the passing of Meir's Place (nee The Upper Krust) - and, going back farther still, Loretta's. Aside from Bilker's, no Jewish deli today that I've tried holds a candle to those. Izzy's was awesome for decades, but nowadays it depends on who you talk to. Word is that their quality's slipped a bit between the original Mr Kadetz's passing away and the expansion from the single downtown store to a regional chain.

Get answers to your questions about Cincinnati