We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

I haven't been to King's Island since the late 70s and have never been to Comey Island.

We will be in Cincinnati sometime in June and wanted to take our son to an amusement park, he will be six by then. I like the idea of Coney Island because it seems more geared to smaller kids and he loves mini golf, which they have.

Any thoughts?

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

Kings Island does have a nice kid's area, but I would choose Coney Island for a 6 year old. Coney does not have alot for teens/adults in the rides though. You could also use the very large pool if you want. The food/drinks are not too pricey at Coney either.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. We don't care about riding anything grownup for us, just want to watch him having a good time. He's never been to an amusement park before and this seems like a good place to start.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

I have a 5 and 7 year old, and I would say Kings Island for sure. CI is ok but run down, not updated and food options are limited. The park gets flooded by the Ohio River on a regular basis. It has a nice big pool and a few carnival rides, but.... it's "kinda boring" according to my kids. KI has vastly changed since the 70's. You won't even recognize it.

KI has the best Kiddie area of any amusement park in the US (as determined by an amusement park publication, I can't remember which one.). There are SO many rides for little kids, everything from bumper cars to little coasters to splash pads. Unless he's really small, there won't be much that he can't ride at the age of 6, some things might need an adult to accompany him though. Also, the water park is included in the price of admission. Soak City is a great water park for all of you to enjoy. A large wave pool, lazy river, 3 or 4 kids specific attractions, and they supply life jackets. There are some rides that all over you could enjoy together as a family, like the train, several carnival thrill rides, the log flume ride, slides at the waterpark, etc.

IMO, you can do mini-golf anywhere! :-) KI is GREAT for little kids! (Until we moved away, we had season passes, which my young ones loved.)

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

IrishLake, here is the info you were referencing:

visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/planet-sno…

"Planet Snoopy, voted "Best Kids Area in the World" for 12 consecutive years (2001-2012) by Amusement Today, ..."

I have never been to CI so I can't compare those two amusement parks...

My opinion, take a trip to Holiday World. IMO, it is a much better family amusement park - both dry rides and the water park.

http://www.holidayworld.com/

Regardless which park you decide, I am sure your son will have a great time!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

Kings Island was by far our family favorite.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

I'd also vote for Kings Island.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

There is no doubt that Kings Island is "better" than Coney Island by almost any measuring stick. The rides are newer, cooler, bigger, etc. They have improved Kings Island's Planet Snoopy greatly in recent years. But sometimes you just want to kick back and relax with a picnic cooler and a more with a classic feel... that's Coney Island.

If you were bringing teens, or experienced theme park kids, there's no contest - Kings Island all the way. Since you have a littler one, it makes it more of a toss-up in my opinion. He may want to bail on the rides after a while and play in the pool. =)

At Coney, you can do the pool and rides for 3 people and parking for about $80.

Kings Island will run you about $150 for the same thing.

Look for discounts by purchasing tickets online, or sometimes they have promotions at Kroger or other supermarkets.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

We went to comets island last summer and had a great time...we had a 2, 5, 5 and 8 year old with us. We've been to KI before, no comparison both are nice depending on what you want.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

I appreciate everyone's input. As it turns out, our travel dates changed and we will be coming up the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Coney Island opens that weekend. I am sure Monday will be chaos so I was thinking of stopping by when we get into town on late Sunday afternoon to take advantage of the cheaper evening price. I would prefer to go during a full day but during the rest of that week, the rides are closed with the pool open.

I did consider KI but when I looked at the cost of food and tickets (even with discounts), I vetoed it. Hubby and I are not big into coasters and if it turns out the kiddo doesn't like the rides, it's a waste of cash. When he's older, I think it would be a much better idea.

10. Re: Coney Island or King's Island for a six year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:17