We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xavier Univ college visit: stay downtown or Covington?

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
461 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Xavier Univ college visit: stay downtown or Covington?

I would like to get a feel for the areas where my daughter would spend time off campus should she choose this school. Where should I stay on a Monday night?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Xavier Univ college visit: stay downtown or Covington?

Mary, while there are some crime issues in Cincy, not unlike any other large metro area, it is certainly not horrible. Locals make it out to be much worse than it is. Norwood is not a happening place outside of shopping and eateries, but it is not one of the higher crime areas in the city either. There are several nice neighborhoods adjacent or near to Xavier including, Hyde Park (one of the more affluent), Oakley, Mt. Lookout and East Walnut Hills/O'Bryanville. Xavier is a short drive from almost everywhere in the metro area and is convenient to both I-75 and I-71 via the Norwood Lateral (562). UC has a good nursing school but is a more urban campus in a higher crime area. However, the area surrounding UC does provide more of the shops, bars and restaurants and entertainment that typically appeals to college kids. There is much more within walking distance of the UC campus than there is from the Xavier campus.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Xavier Univ college visit: stay downtown or Covington?

The university of Cincinnati has an excellent nursing program and they also have a medical school. It is a very busy urban campus with over 33,000 students. I work at one of the major hospitals in the area and for the most part I feel safe.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Xavier Univ college visit: stay downtown or Covington?

The university of Cincinnati has an excellent nursing program and they also have a medical school. It is a very busy urban campus with over 33,000 students. I work at one of the major hospitals in the area and for the most part I feel safe. Also if you daughter is trying to get away from the cold Cincinnati isn't the place to go!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Xavier Univ college visit: stay downtown or Covington?

Yes, if weather plays a large factor, Cincinnati is still very cold and very snowy. I've lived on Lake Erie and in Cincinnati. They might get more snow in Cleveland from the Lake Effect, but it's still very cold in Cinci. In fact, if I had a choice based on weather alone, I'd live in Cleveland. Cincinnati has hills and very few people know how to drive on those hills in inclement weather. If there's a little dusting of snow, the whole city shuts down.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
135 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Xavier Univ college visit: stay downtown or Covington?

There is a Graeter's in Hyde Park square on Erie avenue that is close to campus. I am an XU alum and still live in town. My husband is a UC grad. Cincinnati chili can be found at Skyline or Gold Star. Both have many locations in the area. XU and UC are very different schools (# students, cost, programs offered, class size, Jesuit vs. Public, etc) so I cannot imagine a choice between them coming down to only the reputation of the program. Make sure you compare cost after financial aid package. You may be pleasantly surprised. Stay in downtown if you like but students don't spend time there. The Springhill Suites at Eden Park is probably most convenient to both schools. You can easily walk/drive to the the Art museum (free admission) or Overlook from there.

26. Re: Xavier Univ college visit: stay downtown or Covington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:16