We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining recommendations

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
64 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Dining recommendations

Later this summer we'll be in Cincinnati for the opera and Reds games. I'd like a good restaurant for before the opera. We prefer local restaurants and not chains and don't mind paying good money if the food is truly good. Also, where is a good place for a nice lunch? Any help is appreciated.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining recommendations

One good choice is Montgomery Inn Boathouse (montgomeryinn.com/restaurants/…index.html). You can do a google search and come up with lots of reviews. The food is very good, the service is among the best I've had, the views are terrific (overlooking the river). Only downside is sometimes there's a long wait.

There's also a very nice restaurant at the top of the Radisson Hotel in Covington. Great food and it revolves so you get a great view all around the river region.

The Celestial in Mt. Adams is another very nice restaurant. Upscale, good view overlooking downtown and the river. The Palace in the Cincinnatian Hotel and the Orchid at Palm Court in the Hilton are two very, very nice restaurants. At least go into the Hilton to admire the old world architecture. They don't make hotels like this anymore.

Prima Vista in Price Hill is a nice upscale Italian restaurant with a great view. Palomino in downtown overlooks Fountain Square (not a good view now because of Fountain Square construction). Mitchell's Seafood in Newport on the Levy is good and has a nice view of downtown from the Kentucky side of the river.

Jeff Ruby's steakhouse is also well regarded, as is French restaurant Jean Robert's at Pigalls. Anyway, I could go on, but here's a good review of upscale, fine food restaurants: www.citybeat.com/2005-09-07/diner.shtml

For lunch, you might try Mitchell's or any of the places along the river on the Kentucky side. They have nice views of the Cincinnati Skyline.

For more listings, go here:

http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/ent/dining/

where you can search by type and bring up reviews.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining recommendations

I would definitely HIGHLY recommend Montgomery Ribs, they're out of this world! Jeff Ruby's is wonderful, or you may like to try The Precinct--Jeff Ruby DOES have a chain of restaurants, but each has a different name and different menu of great food. The Precinct just happens to be my personal favorite, it has a lot of character and the people are terrific. Enjoy yourself, it's always so nice for me to go home (I'm a Cincinnati native)!

cincinnati, ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining recommendations

The Precinct (owned by Jeff Ruby) is my personal favorite...the steaks are absolutely wonderful...it is a few miles out of town though in the Mt. Lookout area. I think any Jeff Ruby establishment is a great bet for dining here in the city. A nice lunch? Well, here in Cincy, we have a lot of great restaurants...the Redfish is a great place..it's on the corner of 7th and Race....it is in an older building with some great 30's era fixtures...it is very casual and serves great cajun cuisine...it's a fun place..not stuffy.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining recommendations

For lunch, I suggest the Jean Ro Bistro on Vine St. between 4th and 5th downtown. A nice French bistro with a menu that has been recently updated for the summer.

Nicola's at Sycamore and Liberty in Over-the-Rhine has first-rate fine Italian dining, dinner only.

Tink's Cafe, on Telford at Ludlow in Clifton, is also a fun, elegant choice. Lunch on weekdays, dinner everyday.

All of these places are locally owned and serve exceptional food.

Cincinnati
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining recommendations

Boca in Oakley is supposed to be phenomenal. Make reservations long in advance.

PhoParis in Oakley is Vietamese/French, and is highly recommended.

Honey in Northside is very good, but I don't believe they accept reservations, and it's busy on weekends.

Slims in Northside is funky but very popular. Communal dining, but good food, and a revolving menu.

Jean-Roberts is the high-priced, fancy french restaurant and when it opened, it was named one of the world's top 75 new restaurants by Conde Nast.

Andy's Mediterranean is one of my favorites, if you're into hummus, kabobs and belly dancers.

If not Andy's, there's a turkish place in Newport on the Levee (the name escapes me). It's Columbus based, but the food is very good.

Daveed's in Mt Adams is known for it's innovative yet excellent food.

The Montgomery Inn Boathouse would be good before the Reds game because it is close to the stadium.

Cincinnati
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining recommendations

Cafe Istanbul is the turkish place in Newport on the Levee.

I'd also like to make a plug for Dewey's Pizza, a local chain (Oakley, Clifton, Newport on the Levee). Yum. The Edgar Allen Poe is my favorite!

ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining recommendations

Hope this helps:

Embers or Trios in Kenwood.

Jean Robert's - Downtown

The Precinct - Mt. Lookout/ Columbia Tusculum

Daveed's - Mt. Adams

Sturkey's - Wyoming

Ambar - ( if you're into Indian )

Despite being a native, I'm not too fond of Montgomery Inn. A ridiculous wait followed by a rushed meal. We prefer to make our own ribs.

I second the vote for Dewey's. It's different pizza but really good. My personal favorite is Socrates Revenge. Great for both vegetarians and carnivores.

Another more casual place is Indigo's in Hyde Park. Great al fresco dining in a lovely party of town.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
64 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining recommendations

Gosh, looks like lots of good options!

Just realized that our first day there, we'll take in a day game and then the opera that night so we may be tight on time for dinner. So maybe we should stick to something closeby the opera and not venture out to other neighborhoods and across the river. That way we'll have more time to eat and less time in the car and parking. Can you suggest a pre-opera restaurant?

Thanks again for all the help!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining recommendations

Are you staying downtown? If so, you should have plenty of time for a downtown dinner. Jean Ro Bistro, Jean Robert at Pigall's (fine dining, prix fixe), Jeff Ruby's, Palomino, Bella come to mind. The Phoenix Restaurant (9th and Race) is also wonderful, and a few dollars less than you would expect, given the ambiance (wood-paneled walls and a grand piano in the lobby) and quality of the food. All are close to the downtown hotels and offer appropriately elegant settings and food for a pre-Opera dinner.

cincinnati
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining recommendations

Prima Vista has great Northern Italian food and a fab view. Request a table by the window! Agree with Montgomery Inn but make sure you eat at Skyline Chili to have really dined in Cincinnati. Locations all over, 52 I think, with at least 2 downtown. It is cheap, and authentic...not fine dining by a long shot, but a must have! They sell something similiar, Gold Star at the Ballpark, and there are GS camps and Skyline camps...Skyline is my vote. Prima Vista is wonderful and more of an event, and not a chain. Skyline is a local chain.