We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tall Stacks Festival

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
19 reviews
66 helpful votes
Tall Stacks Festival

I just found out about the Tall Stacks Festival Oct 4-8. Is there any Hotels close enough to walk to the Public Landing where the festival is? I read that there are several places to park and take a shuttle, but I would like to stay close enough to walk. Any help or info if you have ever gone to one of these would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sharonville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

Any of the downtown hotels would be close enough to walk (within a mile). Hilton, Westin, Hyatt, Millenium, etc. Even the ones on the Kentucky side are within walking distance. Public Landing is near the riverbank near US Bank Arena and the Great American Ball Park. Here is a picture of it with a riverboat on it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=downtown+cincinnati&ll=39.097185,-84.503196&spn=0.000964,0.001808&t=k&om=1

Tall Stacks site: http://www.tallstacks.com/

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
19 reviews
66 helpful votes
2. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

Thank you so much for the info, have you ever been to the Tall Stacks Festival? It sounds like alot of fun, I live about 5 hours away and would have to take time off of work, but it looks like something my husband and I would like.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

Tall Stacks really is one-of-a-kind. Seeing all of the riverboats moored along the Serpentine Wall is breathtaking, especially around sunrise and sunset. Unfortunately, the best time to book hotels within walking distance of the festival has come and gone. Don't let this stop you from making it down for the festival. Depending on your price tolerance, you might still be able to find something in downtown Cincinnati or the Northern Kentucky riverfront. But act quickly!!

See you in October!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
19 reviews
66 helpful votes
4. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

Thanks kendaltr, should I go for all 5 days or is 2 or 3 days enough? I don't want to take the time off of work if I do not have to. Thanks again for the info.

Sharonville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

I went the first and second times it was held. There were a lot of booths along the Serpentine Wall area. many had information about various activities and programs, and of course lots of food booths (surprise surprise this is Cincinnati and we apparently like to eat here because we have dozens of such food festivals). There were also some live performing acts of various sorts (mostly musicians I think but there may have been others like comedians, magicians, jugglers, etc.). You had to have tickets to get on the boats. I'm not sure but there may have been two kinds of tickets - one to walk around on the boats while they were parked and another to take a meal cruise. I'm not sure if it will be like that this year. Those tickets always sold out in advance - none were available if you just walked up. There was a boat parade that was the highlight of the event. Lots of boats were blowing whistles and calliopes. I'm not sure when this happened during the event. That's about all I remember.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

You should be able to get your fill in 2 or 3 days. Only the true riverboat enthusiast would remain unsatisfied after that. I believe you have to pay for access to the grounds, which includes the concerts, displays, food booths, etc. Tickets to the various cruises (everything from breakfast to martini cruises) are separate, and you should book them soon at tallstacks.com. But if you buy a cruise ticket, you get into the grounds free that day.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
19 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

Imager you were right, all of the hotels in walking distance are booked. I called the Holiday Inn Express I-75 /Mitchell they said they were 6 mile from the festival and did not offer a shuttle. I know I am asking alot, but does anyone know of a hotel that offers a shuttle to the Festival? Once I am there I really do not want to drive, I am from the Detroit area and know that when there is a big event driving and parking is a pain in the butt! I hope someone can help.

Kendaltr, we decided to go for three days, would Wed, Thurs, Fri be less crowded than Fri, Sat and Sun? Sorry for so many questions but I just found out about this and would really like to go, and I can see that it is booking up fast! Thanks again for all of your help.

Sharonville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

I don't know of any hotels with shuttles specially for that event. You can look at the Queen city Metro (bus) schedule here:

http://www.sorta.com/schedules.html

look for ones that say Express and then look for hotel names on their route maps. For example, you can take the West Chester Express route which stops at the Marriott Hotel about 18 miles north of downtown and goes to the center of downtown. Takes about 40 minutes.

http://www.sorta.com/routes/Rt42XMar.pdf

Or you can stay at the Residence Inn or Motel 6 and take Bus 23X from stop 3 (http://www.sorta.com/routes/Rt23XMar.pdf). Leaves at 8:16 a.m and arrives in downtown 8:45 a.m.

There may be some closer - I don't know.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

I would expect crowds to be smaller during the week, but I don't know for sure. Weekdays are a good time to stroll around downtown, because more places are open and its livelier.

As for a hotel, I would try the Vernon Manor (historic) and the Marriott Kingsgate (new). Even if they don't have shuttles, a cab ride to the festival should cost less than $10. But parking will probably cost about that much, so at that point you may prefer to drive if you're not going on too many martini cruises.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
19 reviews
66 helpful votes
10. Re: Tall Stacks Festival

I don't think we would go on the martini cruise, but that beer tasting cruise is looking pretty good!

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.