We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

Hoping for some advice. We will be arriving in CVG around 8.30pm on Tuesday 27 August.

Our destination the next day via a hire car is Delaware Ohio

Looking on google maps it appears that the quickest route (according to them) is through the middle of Cincinnati on I 71 then I 75 north!!

Our friends in Ohio are telling us to not go that way be because the traffic and road works are bad and we would be better off taking the I 275 and go around to the West circling Cincinnati and joining the I 75 north of Cncinatti.

My query is, if we are travelling so late at night, will the roads through Cincinnati be really busy at that time? We were going to stay in Covington overnight but realise the roads will be very busy when we need to head off the next morning, so think we should push to the North of Cincinatti for our first night. We can't drive too far as we will of flown all the way from Australia with no actual stopovers, just time in LAX and Minneapolis to change planes.

Any help with this would be appreciated

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
760 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

Google has you taking 75 to Delaware? That's not direct at all, and 75 and 70 are both busier than 71, which is the more direct route.

Take 71 all the way to Columbus. Where 71 exits to the right just south of downtown Columbus, stay in the center lanes to take Ohio 315 north. Stay on that for about 10 miles, then get on I-270 E (toward Cleveland) and get off on the first exit for US 23 North. That will take you directly to Delaware.

And no, I don't think there's any reason to take 275 instead of 71 through Cincinnati. I wouldn't go that way even during rush hour, never mind late at night. It's well out of your way. Sometimes from the Cincinnati airport I'll do 275 E to 471 N to 71 N to avoid the traffic on the Brent Spence Bridge (which carries 71/75 over the Ohio River). But I wouldn't go all the way around the city to the west on 275.

If you wanted to stay north of the city to get an early start the next morning, there are hotels off the Mason-Montgomery/Fields-Ertel Rd exit on 71. This is the first exit north of 275 in the NE Cincinnati suburbs. From there you should make it to Delaware in just under two hours.

cincinnati
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

Hi,

I live in Cincy and have family just north of Delaware. I make the drive often.

I am a little confused as to why you would take 1-75 to Delaware instead of 1-71? It is a straight shot from Cincy to the Delaware exit and the city of Delaware to only a few miles off the interstate.

I agree that your best bet is to get north of downtown Cincinnati before you stop for the night. You only have to travel about 20 miles north of the Ohio River to be well away from the morning rush hour commute. At the point, everyone will be going south into the city and you will be heading north into the countryside. Look at hotels in the Mason, Ohio area. Exits 19 and 24 off of 71 North. Mapquest the drive from CVG to Mason, Ohio to see the route. At that time of night it should be fairly traffic free. The Reds are on the road that night so there will not be any baseball traffic and I'm not aware of any other major events in the city. I really would try to get as far as Exit 19 because anything before that puts you inside the 275 loop and the morning northbound traffic can still be heavy.

When I make the drive, I stay on 71 though Columbus but, depending on where in Delaware you are headed, 315 might be a better option.

Hope this helps!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
730 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

RE: We were going to stay in Covington overnight but realize the roads will be very busy when we need to head off the next morning

After such a long flight(s) I would be inclined to stay at or near the airport so you can get some rest before heading out the next morning. There are several options a very short car or taxi ride away and I suspect some have shuttles. There is also a hotel directly adjacent to the airport.

Traffic from CVG and environs including CovingtonKY will not be that bad heading north even on a weekday. The only potentially tricky part will be crossing the river and as mentioned by CincySwords, there is an alternative route to that. The confusion about I-71&I-75 is likely because they are one in the same for several miles including when driving from near the airport into Ohio where they split.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

75 does not even go to Delaware. At 8:30 pm there will be no traffic issues. Just take 275 east to 71/75, then go north and stay on 71. It will only take you 30-40 minutes to get to the Blue Ash (pfeiffer rd exit) or a few more miles to Mason at exit 25. There are a few hotel choices at either exit. The next morning you will be past any city traffic and should be in Delaware in about 2 hours.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

http://goo.gl/maps/ijgC7

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

Sorry I'm so late here.

Take I-275 eastbound to I-71 northbound into Columbus. Delaware is a suburb on the north side of Columbus.

Take I-270 around the west side of Columbus to SR23 then north into Delaware.

If you want to stop some place, my wife and daughters did a "girls weekend" at Comfort Inn and Suiites at Kings Island on I-71 and were quite pleased with it. This area is beyond A.M. city traffic and an hour and a half from Delaware. There are ample restaurants in that area as well.

Safe trip to you!!

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
736 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

Since you have already selected to stay in Covington for the nights there will be no need to get on 275. Covington is a 15 minute drive at night from the airport. I drive 71 north from just south of Covington everyday at 8:45-9 am and the only traffic will be south of you. 71 north is smooth sailing. No construction and no traffic. Covington is a nice small northern Kentucky city. Try DeeFelice cafe for a wonderful meal and some jazz. Dee's felit is yummy. Old Kentucky Bourban Bar for an after dinner cocktail. Both are walkable from numerous COV hotels. If at Embassy then grab a cab or shuttle. Both places are in the MainStrauss village.

Enjoy your stay.

Peace

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

Thanks everyone for your replies... The joys of having friends telling us what's the best route prompted this query... I think I will follow the advice and go straight through Cincy that night after we arrive and head to just past the 275 loop and look for something there.... A quick take off when we awaken the next morning.

Will look into most of the routes mentioned and go woth them... I must admit, our friends are a tad older than us and did state they hated all the semi's on the major roads...ha ha

Only a week to go, very much looking forward to our trip..THANKS

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

The large trucks are an issue on the interstates. I never follow a truck trailer if I can avoid it. If I can't avoid it, I allow a very adequate stopping distance. Trucks will pass slow-moving passenger cars and pull in front of them.

Unlike in Europe, and perhaps Australia, American trailers often have very poor rear bumpers. They won't stop a car from going under the trailer, ripping off the top of a passenger car. This is known as the underride hazard. Very few U.S. trailers have side bumpers, important if a truck jack-knifes in front of a passenger car.

autosafetyexpert.com/defect_truckunderride.p…

If you have a GPS, it likely will take you on the shortest, fastest route to Delaware.

BTW, check out the Columbus Zoo in Powell, not far from Delaware. It's a good one.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
760 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route from CVG Airport to Delaware Ohio

Enjoy your trip. Delaware is a nice small college town with a nice downtown area. Beehive Books is probably my favorite bookstore in the greater Columbus area (I'm sorry, I just don't care for the Book Loft), there are a couple of antique malls, lots of restaurants, a farmers' market on the weekend.

Get answers to your questions about Cincinnati
Recent Conversations