We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

I will be in Cincinnati from Sept. 20-23 for the Oktoberfest and the Packers game (oops, sorry, Bengals game).

Are there any nice running/jogging routes from near the Hyatt downtown? I'd like to run out about 2-3 miles, and then back for a total of 5-6 miles. But I don't want to run into a rough or seedy area.

Plus, a bit off topic, but what are the best brewpubs or microbreweries with tasting rooms to visit? I won't have a car, so near downtown would be more ideal.

Prost!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

I don't know about tasting rooms as I generally like more than just a taste but the places below all have extensive and generally good beer selections. The best beer and the best biergarden in the area is Hofbrau Newport. It is easily accessible from your hotel via the Southbank Shuttle (almost a direct trip across the OhioRiver). It is also Oktoberfest weekend (Sat and Sun but with some activities Fri nt as well) so you and me and 500,000 others will be able to enjoy a beer right along 5th St. where you hotel is located (although the selection is not particularly good this year). I'm sure you can squeeze in some jogging here (tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60993-d14…) between beers. Cheers!

http://www.moerleinlagerhouse.com/

www.yardhouse.com/OH/cincinnati-restaurant/

http://nicholsonspub.com/

http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/

Edited: 19 September 2013, 15:33
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

. . . and I should have mentioned that bus schedules like the aforementioned Southbank Shuttle (operated by the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky) will be altered due to street closures downtown but I'm sure you can look up the relevant information on their web site. All of the places above (and many more) are an easy walk from your hotel except Hofbrau but you could walk to/from there as well across either the white or purple bridge(s) - I can never remember their real names - just east of Great American Ballpark. In fact, the so-called "Purple People Bridge" is popular for runners/joggers with the area at the base of it on the Ohio side being close to Yeatman's Cove and Sawyer Point (riverfront parks) that are connected to the Riverwalk mentioned above. Have fun (except between 1 and 4 on Sunday).

Edited: 19 September 2013, 17:39
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

Thanks for all the info, NatiD!

I plan on using the Riverwalk area for my route.

Did the HB Newport last night. Had a great time. Also enjoyed Skyline Chili for lunch yesterday, then grabbed a double scoop of Graeters ice cream and watched the bee hive of activity as workers set up the Oktoberfest. I also took some nice pictures from the observation deck of the Carew Tower. Great view! (Do any other buildings in town have an observation deck?).

Had some trouble finding where to catch the South Bank Shuttle....even the info line told me wrong! I was able to get a (Covington) shuttle driver to stop, and he directed me to the Federal Reserve bus stops. But then the storms blew in, and my umbrella got destroyed. A quick visit to the nearby Walgreen's solved that problem. At the end of my night I walked through the Oktoberfest, but most vendors were closed....I suspect due to the monsoon-like rains.

And that was only my first day in Cincinnati! More to come, with the highlight taking place on Sunday from 1-4! ; )

Edited: 21 September 2013, 14:35
Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
736 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

Glad your enjoying your time.

Who Dey!

Peace

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

I arrive at Oktoberfest early yesterday but by 3:00 or so the lines for (good) beer were ridiculously long. Very poor planning by the organizers. A disgrace really.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

I also visited the Oktoberfest yesterday and was shocked at the length of the beer lines. The lines for Erdinger were ridiculous. But I found a shortcut for getting beer from the Hofbräu beer tent. Instead of standing in the 50 person deep line, I walked over to the left side of the tent where a couple of bartenders were just waiting to serve people....

7. Re: A nice jogging route in/from downtown Cincinnati

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:21