We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cincy getaway with kids?

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cincy getaway with kids?

We are hoping to take a trip this weekend, starting on Friday..We heard there is a good childrens museum in Cincinnati, is this true. What are some other things to do with kids? Is the Zoo worth visiting? Anything else going on this weekend? Kind of last minute, I know ! :)

Also...the Comfort Suites across the river in Kentucky..anyone know if it's a decent stay or not ?

Any other suggestions, hints, advice? Any and all would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks so much for any info!

Trish

Mentioned in this post
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

consider the Newport Aquarium as well. Just over the river from downtown... lots of fun, your kids would love it. it's supposed to get pretty cold here this weekend, so the zoo might not be a great idea (although it is a great zoo when the weather is decent). i've never been to the childrens museum, but i've heard great things as well.

what about Kings Island for Fearfest? depending on the age of your kids, they might love it. the "kiddie land" there is probably one of the best in the country.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Aquarium
Newport Aquarium
1,779 Reviews
Newport, KY
Kings Island
Kings Island
2,440 Reviews
Mason, OH
Akron, OH
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

Thanks! I didn't even think about Kings Island still being open! Our kids are 7 and 10... and a kiddie land would be perfect since Mom has become a chicken on rides !!

I'll have to check on that and the Aquarium, I know the kids would love that.

Any thoughts on hotels? I looked at the Comfort Suites in Newport , not many reviews but they seemed decent whereas the other Comforts didn't. Any other hotels that are clean and not ridiculously overpriced?

Thanks for your help! Sure is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Kings Island
Kings Island
2,440 Reviews
Mason, OH
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

there is a brand new Drury Inn in sharonville, right off of I-75 on the north side. it's getting great reviews, great ammenities, etc. i've always found Drury Inns to be really nice and very affordable.

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

WOW ! That looks great! Thank you so much.

Next question would be, is this very far from the Museum center and such?

Sorry, I haven't been to Cincinnati in a very long time....and really don't know the area at all. Was at Kings Island when young and then again about 15 years ago! We camped at Stonelick that time.

You are so very kind and generous with your help!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cincinnati Museum Center
Cincinnati Museum Center
1,586 Reviews
Cincinnati, OH
Kings Island
Kings Island
2,440 Reviews
Mason, OH
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

buster, you made me blush! i work right near the drury and have had clients stay there, so i'm familiar with it. i'm happy to help! it's probably about a 15-20 minute drive to both kings island and the museum center and/or newport area depending on traffic. but the Drury is right off of I-75, so that makes everything more convenient.

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

Thank you, thank you, thank you !

We are still trying to decide on Cincinnati, Columbus or Greenfield Village (Michigan) but I think it's going to be Cincy, hoping to also see some fall colors, the river etc. Something to keep the kids interested and a little education too :) We're in Akron and wanted something within a few hours driving distance .

I see there are several restaurants by the Drury... the pics of it look really nice (I have been fooled before!) but with it being new, I'm sure it's going to be faboo !

Again, I thank you for your kindness... you're a doll !

Trisha

Mentioned in this post
Greenfield Village
Greenfield Village
2,068 Reviews
Dearborn, MI
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

If the weather is decent, both the Cincinnati Zoo and Kings Island would be excellent choices. I would look at the forecast and visit the Newport Aquarium or Museum Center on the day the weather looks not as good. The Museum Center is an impressive building that houses several museums in addition to the children's museum. The Cincinnati history museum has a lot of great visuals for kids, including a huge scale model of the city, including moving trains, light up streetlamps, etc. There is also a mockup of the old riverfront complete with a "riverboat" you can walk on to.

Mentioned in this post
Kings Island
Kings Island
2,440 Reviews
Mason, OH
Newport Aquarium
Newport Aquarium
1,779 Reviews
Newport, KY
Cincinnati Museum Center
Cincinnati Museum Center
1,586 Reviews
Cincinnati, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

Weather on the weekend is supposed to be in the high 50's or low 60's and not rainy - at least that's what they're (http://www.wcpo.com/weather/) saying now. The riverboat is in the Cincinnati History Museum, which is a separate museum in the same complex. It also has a huge miniature model of Cincinnati of about 100 years ago that my kids just love. It even has lights and working models of trams, trains, etc. Plus the musuem has dioramas of early settlers. You can get combination tickets so you can see 1, 2, or 3 museums for a discounted price. The Natural History Museum is also cool because of it's dioramas of prehistoric creatures, and wet cave. There is also an Omnimax theater there but I think it's shut down until mid-November for refurbishing. The aquarium and the zoo are probably the other two attractions to fill out your weekend. I haven't stayed in that Comfort Suites but I've stayed in others and am generally happy with them, although I prefer Hampton Inns.

Mentioned in this post
Akron, OH
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

Gosh, thanks so much everyone...IrishLake,kendaltr,Imager !

Sounds like we can spend one whole day at the museum and then the other day at the Aquarium, Zoo and the river.

Again, sure appreciate all the info, it has truly been a big help!

Trisha

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cincy getaway with kids?

Bustersbunch, if I were you I would take Greenfield Village off the list, I live about 10 minuets from there. I think Greenfield Village is more for adults, I have 2 kids (now 21 & 14) and have been to several field trips there and the kids do not seem to be to interested. Also, after that there is really nothing else around here to do.

We just got back from Covington KY, we went for Tall Stacks. We stayed at the Embassy Suites, the river view was great, at night the skyline of Cincinnati was beautiful. We walked everywhere, but if you do not want to walk a bus stops in front of the hotel and goes to Cincinnati & Newport for $1.00 each trip. I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Covington
Covington
Kentucky
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island