We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Hot Springs for 1 night

Duncan, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Hot Springs for 1 night

My family of 5 will be traveling to South Dakota this summer. We are coming from Oklahoma, seeing the sights around the black hills then heading to Wisconsin. Our current travel plans have us arriving in Hot Springs late in the evening. I know Hot Springs is not the BEST place to stay in the black hills but because of the timing of the trip I would like to stay in Hot Springs and then the next morning see Wind Cave and do the wildlife loop in Custer State Park on our way to a 3 night stay in Keystone. It just makes more sense than driving on to Keystone late at night and not being able to see the beautiful scenery that everyone raves about. So ..... if we have to stay in Hot Springs where should we stay? The hotel reviews are so mixed!! I would like to hear from someone who KNOWS the area and could recommend a SAFE place for a family with small children. I have to admit the post in the hotel reviews concerning marijuana smells has me EXTREMELY nervous!!

Thank you so much!

5 replies to this topic
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Hot Springs for 1 night

I have never stayed in Hot Springs, so I do not have direct experience. I glanced at the hotel reviews and didn't see one about marijuana smells. I would not be too concerned over this, as it could very well be an isolated incident, and sadly, sometimes the reviews you read on here can be a bit exaggerated.

When staying in a place I've never stayed in, I typically rely a lot on the reviews on this site. For a small town like Hot Springs, I'd look at perhaps the top 5 properties and see which one appeals most to you. I saw that a Motel 6 was rated #1, but I am always a bit skeptical of this chain.

I did notice a former Holiday Inn now under a private name, USA Stay Hotel and Suites. Based on the pictures and reviews, this one didn't look bad.

Hopefully someone who has stayed can post with some direct experience. However, many people do not stay in this town as it's not centrally located. I understand your reasons for staying there, however, as it's about 50 miles from Hot Springs to Keystone.

Good luck! I'm sure you will find something that's suitable for a night.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Hot Springs for 1 night

I'm not familiar with Hot Springs Lodging, but as a mother of younger kids, I understand your concerns. Dope smokers in my hotel would not appeal to me, either. Let me put this into perspective, though: the population of the entire state is less than one million people. Because of this, even though the geographical area is large in size, when there's a murder or armed robbery, it's statewide news. I have never heard of any tourists being attacked in Hot Springs, or anywhere else in the Hills in recent history. You can bet if it did happen, it would make major headlines. Hot Springs is a rather isolated small town of only a few hundred people, so compare its safety to any other typical small American town. In the entire state, the only urban areas with sketchy neighborhoods are Rapid City and Sioux Falls and even these neighborhoods are nothing like what you'd find in Chicago, for example.

Duncan, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Hot Springs for 1 night

THANKS! That does put it into perspective for me. I've never been to the area so that makes me feel better.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Hot Springs for 1 night

Sorry, I did get the population wrong. It is 3500 people. I should add that when I was last there, at no time did anything look iffy. I have never stayed in the downtown hotel (Red Rock, or something like that), but it's in a group of beautiful historic buildings with a scenic creek across the street. The outside of the buildings have a very unusual red stone. The DE's hotel suggestion might be more kid-friendly, though. If you have time, visit the Mammoth Site while you are there. It doesn't take very long to go through, but it is pretty neat. Have a fun trip!

Black Hills, SD
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Hot Springs for 1 night

I live in Hot Springs and you will find it a very safe, famliy friendly town. For hotels, the Budget Host is very clean & friendly with a pool, parking outside your room, next to a mini-golf, DQ & next to the Freedom Trail, a beautiful paved walking path along Fall River that will take you downtown to the waterfall, etc. Prices are reasonable. Another good choice is the Stay USA, a former Holiday Inn. A little more upscale, has an indoor pool, no restaurants in walking distance except Woolys (one of Hot Springs best!) across the highway. The Motel 6 is pretty new & highly rated but the location isn't as appealing (but is still safe).

The Mammoth Site is a must do with kids of all ages. A rare opportunity to see an actual wooly mammoth excavation that draws scientists & others from around the world. Educational, fun, hands-on, something for everyone. Everything is indoors so a great activity to plan if the weather is poor. Other good dining choices are Bumpers Grub & Pub (dining on one side, bar on the other) and The Vault. It is a restaurant/bar with great food, open to families until about 8-9pm. Beer garden is great for dining & watching people running or walking dogs in the park across the street. Enjoy Hot Springs, it's a hidden jewel of the Hills!

Reply to: Where to stay in Hot Springs for 1 night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs