We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking lodging

Quincy
4 posts
Save Topic
Seeking lodging

Looking for a decent place for 2 nights in Aug 2012. We will be driving from Anchorage to somewhere around Copper Center with plans for a day trip from there to Valdez and back. Willow Mountain Lodge has good reviews but website seems to be down and no answer to phone calls. Princess is full. Other lodges/B&Bs seem a toss up. Suggestions?

12 replies to this topic
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking lodging

I have stayed at Sawing Loggz, Copper Center Lodge and the Princess Lodge at Copper Center. In one way or the other I have enjoyed them all. Sawing Loggz is a fine B&B and has internet, microwave and fridge for your use. The Copper Center Lodge/Roadhouse is a unique experience and not for everyone. The rooms are small, there are resident dogs, you may have to share a bath but it is an Alaskan experience. The food there has always been very good so if you don't stay there but are in the area try it out. I have also enjoyed the Princess Lodge for its amenities and location. It is a small hotel by Princess standards with a nice bar/restaurant and beautiful views/location. I would also recommend a meal in the bar (less expensive than restaurant and same menu, just ask) and then a walk around the grounds to enjoy the views/setting. I have stayed at the Princess when there were early season specials or resident specials, you can't beat $99 a night. I have stayed at the Roadhouse because it is the easiest to deal with when traveling for work, they have a good gov rate and food on property is nice after a long day in the park and I stayed at Sawing Loggz with family while touring the area.

Quincy
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking lodging

Thanks for the reply. As I said in original post, the Princess is already booked for the dates we need. But we'll keep it in mind for a meal. Will check availability at Sawinglogzz.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking lodging

Princess is probably not booked, they just block out dates until they know how many cruise passengers will be traveling at that time. If you are interested in staying there try checking around April or even later. One of the coupon books may also have a BOGO coupon if that works out for you.

New England
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking lodging

Copper Moose B and B in Kenny Lake is not far from Copper Center. Very clean, friendly hosts and great views, not to mention the yummy desserts at night and great breakfast in the morning.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking lodging

You should also check Glennallen, only about 15 miles or so from Copper Center

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking lodging

Besides a number of lodging already named there are a few cabins in the area if you don't mind more simple and rustic accommodations. You can check out Kenny Lake Chalet, Golden Spruce Cabins and Willow Lake Cabin. The last one is on the lake and hosts are really wonderful. If you google them you can find more information on each. I think Willow Lake Cabin is listed as b&b.

Edited: 03 February 2012, 19:45
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking lodging

Just in case you are thinking of Glennallen, I personally would not recommend the Caribou. I last stayed there in 2009 and though it isn't bad if you stay in the main building it is nothing special and more affordable nicer lodging can be found in the area.

Quincy
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking lodging

Thanks to all who have posted. Good suggestions - some I did before posting my question. Considered Glennallen but don't see anything there to meet our needs. Copper Moose does not have private baths - a must for my wife. This thread can be closed as I wait for response to the inquiries I've made. Looking forward to our summer 2012 6-week road trip!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking lodging

What do you mean John? <<This thread can be closed as I wait for response to the inquiries I've made.>>

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking lodging

Places - good question. Perhaps he wants to sit on it for a while. However, others might benifit this thread if kept open. And, my wife doesn't care for shared baths either. And, I kind of too, as do have to get up one or two times during the night

Reply to: Seeking lodging
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Copper Center
Recent Conversations