We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

Hello!

i have been scrolling through all of the advice on this forum and it is just amazing! People are soo helpful and i am hoping that you can help a fair dinkum aussie. I live in Perth, Western Australia- One of the largest states in the Southern Hemisphere.

My fiance and i are in love with Yellowstone, we have watched many documentaries and articles on this amazing park, it has also been on our bucket list.

As we are getting married next year, i think it would be awesome to kick start our lives together with this trip.... we would also be visiting Yosemite Park and friends in Vancouver.

i am looking for help/advice on the below.... as only one of us, has ever been to the U.S and neither to the park....... and the internet can be quite informative and overwhelming.

So i guess i should start with:

- We are in our late 20's, early 30's and quite fit people

-Travel would be in either 29 June- 13th July 2018 or 20 September-7th October 2018.... (dependent on my fiance's work)

- We don't need any fancy hotels or eateries as such...would really like to not pay any more than 200 a night

- We are happy to pack lunches/buy things at a store to eat during the day/night

- We love adventure type things and don't plan on a 'romantic' honeymoon

-Looking to have it on a bit of a budget...as the currency conversion, taxes and gratitude payments can add up.

-My finance loves wolves...but i know that it would be crazy cold and they are quite elusive creatures..... so i think the winter may not be a great idea...but open to suggestions/opinions.

-heat is not an issue, as we get up to 45 Degrees Celeuis here

so i have thought through of a few options and would like some expert's opinions haha:

-Fly to Vancouver see those friends and then get a bus/coach down to Yellowstone or

-Fly to San fran and drive to yellowstone....but that would mean wasting time driving.... or

-Fly to Salt Lake City or Billings and hire a car and drive to Yellowstone.....

Can any of these tie Vancouver/Yosemite in as well?

Has anyone done a coach/bus tour from a major city to Yellowstone?

From your humble and thankful little west-aussie

Mentioned in this post
9 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

I guess I would look into flying into Salt Lake City, renting a car there to drive to Yellowstone and then fly to Vancouver from there-or fly to Vancouver then to Salt Lake City. We are at YS right now. We just moved from the Snow Lodge Cabins to Mammoth Hot Springs hotel. I can recommend both and they are under your $200/day budget. The Mammoth hotel has rooms without a bath for $107/night right now. It is a lovely area but not very central to the park, but not bad either. From what it sounds like, your Sept-Oct dates could be hit or miss with snow so you might not be able to see everything or anything but the people here that have more experience will have better information. San Fran to Yellowstone would be a long drive. Vancouver on a bus would take much longer than driving yourself, but again, probably less expensive to fly that distance vs driving.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,738 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,511 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

June dates are better for wildlife and weather.

September/October dates can bring threat of snowy conditions.

There is affordable lodging in the parks but book only thru Xanterra-

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

I would not do any type of bus tour unless you are talking about a wildlife tour in the park itself. It is easy to plan and drive in the parks.

Usually we recommend at least 4 to 5 days in Yellowstone and 2 to 3 days in the Grand Tetons.

Additional days needed if want to drive the Beartooth highway and visit the western town of Cody.

Mentioned in this post
Beartooth Highway
Beartooth Highway
455 Reviews
Montana
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

travel June/July

Winter kicks in in late September with real chances of snow and the park lodges start to shut down the end of Sept.

time needed for the park....

plan for 4 full days in Yellowstone and 2 for Grand Teton. You can add more.

You could fly to Vancouver for a few days then fly to Bozeman or billings thru Seattle on Alaska Airlines or take train to Seattle and fly from there (compare costs)

July 1 is Canada day and July 4th is USA independence day celebrations.

29 fly to Vancouver

30 Vancouver

1 Vancouver

2 train/bus to Seattle

3 Seattle

4 fly to Bozeman get car, night West Yellowstone

5 old faifthful area and geyser basin..night west yellowstone

6 finish old faithful in AM, PM to grand Teton

7 GRand Teton

8 Grand Teton in AM, PM to Lake or canyon, night there

9 North loop, night Roosevelt or Cooke City

10 Lamar Valley and beartooth, night Red Lodge or cody

11 drive back through park for the day then night Bozeman

12 flight to Vancouver or SF, day there

13 day in city, fly home at night

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,486 Reviews
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

No need to take a bus tour. If you are comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road you'll have a better time on your own and we can help you plan your itinerary. There are some day tours within the park that are good but not necessary. The tours drive on the same roads you drive on.

Agree with PeachBelle that the June dates are better for wildlife. You don't need to wait until winter to see wolves. If you'll read the trip reports many have seen them recently in Hayden and have been seeing them all summer.

The Fall dates can be OK but as PeachBelle indicates you can get early snow or late season smoke.

"-Fly to Vancouver see those friends and then get a bus/coach down to Yellowstone or"

--->No, please. Don't try to take a bus or train to Yellowstone. Public transport is pathetic. From Vancouver fly to a city near Yellowstone/Grand Tetons or take the train to Seattle and rent a car there and drive.

"-Fly to San fran and drive to yellowstone....but that would mean wasting time driving.... or"

--->This could work and you could work in Yosemite on the way to Yellowstone. Check one way car rental drop off fees and plan to fly out of Bozeman, Billings, Jackson or Salt Lake City.

"-Fly to Salt Lake City or Billings and hire a car and drive to Yellowstone....."

--->Yes, this will be the easiest for Yellowstone. Also Bozeman or Jackson are convenient airports.

Both Vancouver and San Francisco are near the same distance from Yellowstone. Googlemaps gives the mileage from Vancouver to YNP as 875 and SF to YNP as 935 so not a whole lot of difference. Either way you're looking at the best part of 2 days to drive to/from either location.

It looks like you've got about 2 weeks for your wonderful trip - slightly more I see in you come in the Fall. I KNOW the tendency when you first visit the US OR when we come down to visit you all that you want to see everything. I might consider cutting Yosemite/SF this time but include doing Vancouver.

You'll want to spend a minimum of 4 nights in Yellowstone. Since you are interested in wildlife, I would probably want to extend time there to 5 or 6 nights so you can spend at least 2 nights in Mammoth/Gardiner or Roosevelt for access to Lamar Valley and at least 2 nights in Canyon or Lake areas for Hayden Valley. I would also encourage you to spend 2 nights in the Old Faithful area just because it is so amazing to see all the thermal features. You'll want to spend time in Grand Tetons as well - for wildlife and scenery. I would go for at least 2 nights there and 3 if you can swing it.

You'll find reasonable accommodations in Yellowstone. The most economical are the cabins with shared baths which this year ran around $100 USD. Use the link in PeachBelle's post to book lodging and do NOT book via 3rd party on this. The 3rd party will charge a fee and have awful cancellations policies. Go ahead and book lodging now as soon as you figure out your plan. Everything may look full but there is plenty of movement. You'll need some time of searching for things to work out. Around January we usually start to see more cancellations but it means getting on the website several times a day. For you it might work first thing in the AM and last thing at night.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Billings
Billings
Montana
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,486 Reviews
Hayden Valley
Hayden Valley
898 Reviews
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

The road trip forum often has posts on car rental from foreign countries that could be helpful in that portion of your trip. https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

Wow- thanks so much everyone.

This has been incredibly helpful- i forgot about the public holidays that you have in the USA. haha yes...driving on the wrong side of the road for us, will be a little bit of fun.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Pittsburgh...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

also book your rooms NOW. things might free up toward jan 1st but its best to book the dates you need now and switch later

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

Good idea!

I have decided that flying to Bozeman is the best option and than hiring a car for a trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

Mentioned in this post
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018

I’m glad you decided to fly closer and drive!

The weather really was bad this September so make sure you take a look at this thread thbergs started on road closures to get an idea on how things ~can~ be.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g289…

There was a lot of early snow. It doesn’t always happen, in fact some years are pretty warm but it’s always a possibility.

Pam

Edited: 04 October 2017, 08:56
Reply to: Honeymoon includes a Yellowstone trip in 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted