We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

Advice on this plan for a family of 4,with kids ages 9 & 11.5?

Are all these places nice?

We want to horseback ride & raft The Snake - other ideas?

We don't know what all activities are available!

First nite at Lake Lodge Cabins

3 next nites at Flag Ranch Cabin

1 next nite at Grant Village

1 next nite at Old Faithful Inn

1 next nite at Lake Lodge Cabins again

1 final nite at Canyon Lodge

I have no idea whereabouts all these places are yet.........

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice

Do you already have reservations? And when are you visiting?

Go to nps.gov and go to the Yellowstone park section and Tetons section. There will be tons of information about the parks and will have many maps of where you are going!

Your lodging sounds nice and are all over the park which will allow you to see different parts of Yellowstone.

Also search this forum, read some posts that might interest you, tons of info there too. To the left of these postings is a list of information that TA has put together, click on those to get maps, lodging photos, attractions etc.

There is hiking, fishing, wildlife viewing, boating in addition to horseback riding and rafting that you want to do.

Have fun.

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice

Thanks. Yes, Hubby has got all ressies.

We go in July!

I'm feeling overwhelmed - as I do when there are WAAAAAYYYYYYY too many choices.

We're meeting his Bro & family out there. They'll be "RVing" it!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice

Once there, except for relocating each night, you can relax. Drive slowly, pull over a lot for the views, trails and wildlife. Bring very good binoculars and spotting scope or at least ask people with them at view points what they are looking at. They will gladly show you. Usually, bears, bison, wolves, coyotes, sandhill cranes, pronghorns, raptors, etc. They will be "wow" moments.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice

It helps to start with a map of Yellowstone so you can understand where your Yellowstone locations are. At the bottom of this web page, you will find a simple map that will show you:

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

If you look at the map, you will see that the interior roads form a big figure-8. You will have a longer drive from Lake Lodge Cabins down to Flag Ranch Cabins which are south of Yellowstone National Park on the way to Grand Teton National park. If you want to horseback & raft the Snake, you will want to use the Flag Ranch location to base these activities.

The other web page that I would start with is this one. It will help you find out all the different ranger activities held at each of your Yellowstone locations such as hikes, talks, etc.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/rangerprog.htm

I would absolutely get your kids involved in the Junior Ranger program (a link off the web page above). Or, the new Yound Scientist program (just other postings on the Yellowstone Park forum). Don't miss the new Canyon Visitor's Center Supervolcano exhibit.

Chicago
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice

no need to feel overwhelmed. you've given yourself a nice lengthy trip to take in as much as you like. There's really time to do a wide variety of things and still see a good overview of the whole park.

My family will have only 3 days in Yellowstone, so I'm a little more worried about taking it all in properly. My wife and I honeymooned at Yellowstone, and have really looked forward to bringing the kids once they were old enough and we had the time and energy to make the long drive.

I can't wait.

6. Re: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 13:15