We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging

NC
4 posts
Save Topic
Lodging

My wife and I are visiting Yellowstone in early June. We are coming from Cody. Should we plan for lodging inside our outside the park? We have four days and want to move around the loop from east to north in a counter clockwise fashion proceeding to the south on the fourth day.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging

Good luck finding lodging anywhere! If you're lucky you might find some lodging outside the park, but don't count on finding anything in the park at this late date. Lodging inside the park for the peak summer period books up months if not a full year in advance.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging

IF (big IF!) you can get lodging inside the park that's what I'd recommend. You might want to think about staying somewhere to the north/east the first day or two and then move south. The park is so huge!

If I were to do it again (did it last year), I'd spend at least a night in Mammoth Hot Springs and then spend the rest of the time at a more centrally located place like Lake or Canyon.

The Mammoth area is nice because of the proximity to the Hayden and Lamar Valleys--gorgeous places with lots of wildlife. I sure would've loved to see a wolf!

Enjoy!

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging

And just a reminder if you haven't heard this already. The road from Canyon to Tower will be closed so you can't complete this loop. Actually I think this year it will just be closed from Canyon to Dunraven Pass. Last year it was closed from Dunraven Pass to Tower.

Excellent information can be found on this site.

www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/index.html

Also check out the Chat Page on the forum.

illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging

Try calling the Xanterra phone number. They got us a cabin that was supposedly not available. As for the road being closed, we got our confirmation and they said Tower to Canyon was closed. They didn't go into detail as to which part/how much was closed. So... as we were coming in from the Red Lodge area, i don't know if that means we have to do a giant circle to get there, or maybe is we can come in from the Cody way.

Chicago
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging

Bobnann,

You might want to take a look at the Billings paper today. Beartooth Highway (212) is gonna be closed for what looks like a while. They had some pretty serious mudslides that took out sections of the road. If you're planning on going into the park via red lodge to cooke city you might want to come up with an alternate route.