We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eatin in Yellowstone

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eatin in Yellowstone

Two adults, staying at Lake Yellowstone Hotel one night, then Old Faithful Inn the next (in a couple of weeks).

We'll probably be picnicing for lunches but what about breakfasts and especially dinners. We're not big eaters so are the dinners at the lodges recommended? Food quality? Alternatives?

Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

Here is a list of places to eat inside the park. You can always share an entree at a restaurant. Have fun.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/wheretoeat.htm

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

Lake Yellowstone has the nice restaurant in the hotel and a cafeteria at the lodge.

Old Faithful has the 2 restaurants and a cafeteria spread between the 3 lodges. There's a diner type restaurant in the gift shop. Any of those would be fine.

There's a cafeteria at Canyon too if you're in that area.

We ate breakfast from our ice chest most mornings. We started the day too early to eat and it was more convenient. I think we had mini-bagels, cream cheese, breakfast bars and grapes. We got a little variety that way. That let us look for wildlife first and eat later.

The food quality in the lodges is OK. Some better than others. I wasn't impressed at Canyon but had good dinners at Roosevelt. Last year we had a very good dinner at Old Faithful Inn.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

If you're going to dinner at the Lake Yellowstone hotel, make reservations ASAP. I made ours about 3 weeks ago and there was a very limited selection of times for our trip (in a few weeks).

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

LauraSue13, thanks for the advice but we're not planning on eating their dinners this leaving ourselves a more flexible schedule. That and I've heard qualtiy is spotty and the meals overpriced.

We're laid back when it comes to meals and enjoy the unexpected. Just tonight I surprised my wife and cooked her a lobster dinner. ( I decided that last night while watching the food channel) lol

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

LOL! No problem. Just wanted to make sure you were prepared. :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

laurasue13, I really do appreciate your help! Thanks much!

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

atop, Lake Yellowstone Hotel had the best food. The service was wonderful, the kids menu was much the same found through out the park. Really not all that expensive, our family of 5 bill came to $95. The most expensive of the trip but the food was fantastic. We also enjoyed the restaurant at Grant. skip Roosevelt. Nothing else stands out at the moment. We found we were so much on the go that we were glad to have a cooler with fruit and yogurt and various snacks and drinks to tide us over. Also it was around 9:30 before we thought about dinner much of the time and many places close at 10:00 so keep your eyes on the clock. The sunsets so much latter then the east coast, it was great we got so much more out of the day. Have a great trip!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

Great reports, Snorkling. One comment for the sake of accuracy. I'm sure you meant the days are longer because the latitude of YNP is further north than NYC/PA. And, of course, Seattle, where I live, is quite a bit north of YNP. Hence, our Seattle area enjoys very long summer days.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
594 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

I have to comment on the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, we loved it there. We had lake view. There are no televisions in the rooms and LOVED the bathrooms!!!

The restaurant was EXCELLENT and so was breakfast. I would highly recommened this hotel. We were lucky to come upon it and walk in and see if they had two rooms available and they sure did!

10. Re: Eatin in Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 03:19