We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

Boston...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

Hi!

I'm going to be heading down to Yellowstone on the 7th (flying into Jackson). Where would you recommend that I stay? All the hotels in the park are either closed for the season (it's shoulder season) or full. Jackson looks nice as a base since I'll be spending at least some time there, but it seems a bit out of the way for Yellowstone.

I'm from Boston so if it snows I know what to do :)

Also -- I'm going to be hiking through the park during shoulder season and I'm going to be alone (though I would not be surprised if there are other people on the hikes as well, though not part of my party). Is this wise? I've never tried hiking through parks before with lots of bears, elk, and other carnivores running around.

Thanks in advance,

ACG

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

Someone may post details but in the meantime, do a search on West Yellowstone for lodging. Not far outside the park and much closer than Jackson. You don't want to stay in Jackson for your visit to YNP.

Gardiner is at the northern end of the park near Mammoth if you might want to stay there.

I'll leave the hiking discussion alone. You do need to learn about bear spray and have some with you, though.

Boston...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

They have some places in West Yellowstone but I'm not particularly thrilled about them. And Gardiner only has the bottom tier of hotels open when it comes to the Tripadvisor rankings.

What about Cody?

ACG

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

Too far in my opinion. You might check Cooke City.

Its also pretty far but at last you're driving through Lamar Valley.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

If the main focus of your trip is to go see Yellowstone in the fall, which is a wonderful time, I would find the best lodging you can find and book it! You will only be there for a short time as you will be out visiting the park most of the time. Jackson is too far for visiting Yellowstone and I think Cody is as well. There are a few places right outside of the east entrance.

You can spend 4 nights in the YS area and then 3 nights in Jackson area.

Hiking alone can be rewarding, but also dangerous. Be sure to let people know where you are going. Wear bear bells, make noise as you hike and take bear spray if you feel comfortable doing so. Ask the rangers for advice, they know quite a lot! The wolves won't bother you, they stay far from people.

Visit www.nps.gov/yell/ for tons of information!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

yellowstone basin inn gets great reviews and based on tripadvisor reviews, i have booked for my trip next week. checkout their website

http://www.yellowstonebasininn.com/

I hike a lot alone, sometimes hooking up with folks doing similar speeds etc. just be aware. recognize bear activity, keep strong smelling personal products at home. If elk are in rut when you are there (not sure of the timing, when i was in jasper at that time it was full rut) they ALWAYS have the right of way and don't blow your horn at them if they are in the road in your way, they might attack your car.

the only time i ran into a bear on a trail was actually hiking in NJ! i've seen bears driving on the way to a trail head and have changed my mind about a trail based on their presence.

I hiked a fair amount alone out west and am still here!

Boston...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

Hi again!

I've managed to get into the Wyoming Inn in Jackson for the weekend of the 12th (how convenient, I can return the car early and take their shuttle to the airport). It's funny -- I asked them if they had availability on the phone and they said their best price was $189, but when I actually booked online I got a room for $129.

I'm torn between Yellowstone Basin Inn and Gardiner Guest House. But it definitely looks like it will be Gardiner (or maybe the Shoshone Guest lodge?)

7. Re: Questions about a 10/7-10/14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 13:15