We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snowfall vs automobile ; should i bring a shovel

birmingham
Level Contributor
312 posts
Save Topic
snowfall vs automobile ; should i bring a shovel

starting my research for major tour of yellowstone and utah NP s next year . we will arrive Oct 9th if everything goes to schedule ( HA !) as i wish to include our 30th wedding anniversary while on holiday ; i have heard rumours that some roads can close by then cause of snow, which ones ? regular occurance or one off. any input greatly appreciated

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,394 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snowfall vs automobile ; should i bring a shovel

There was snow this last week in Yellowstone and I think Beartooth Hwy/Dunraven Pass closed today for the season. Visit www.nps.gov/yell/

Most of the rest of the roads except for the North Entrance to NE entrance road will close Nov 5.

birmingham
Level Contributor
312 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snowfall vs automobile ; should i bring a shovel

thanks for the info ; if beartooth and dunraven close this early we will have to make them a priority in order of visitation, that or shuffle the whole schedule forward a week

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snowfall vs automobile ; should i bring a shovel

Hi we were just at Yellowstone from the 28th September thru the 8th October 2007, we had an awesome vacation, Snow started falling on the 4th or 5th October and quite a few of the roads were closed the night of the 5th at Lake Yellowstone Hotel we awoke to no power and a lot of snow, followed the snow plough out, as we are from Miami it was novel, and we were both brought up in Mountain regions and enjoyed seeing snow again, but it does and will curtail your movements, we never did get over dunraven pass. The one good thing is it was not busy except around old faithful. I posted some photos which I think should be on line today?

4. Re: snowfall vs automobile ; should i bring a shovel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 04:16