We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning our trip - where can we stay?

Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Planning our trip - where can we stay?

I am trying to find out where to look for lodging when we visit Yellowstone Park. We will fly in and out of Jackson Hole or Cody.

We really want to spend time in Yellowstone Park seeing as much of it as possible. We also like to do a bit of hiking so our days could end up quite busy and tiring.

Do we really need to drive over 50 miles to get in and out of the Park each day?

If this is the case, (I know that the places in the Park would be best but they are all full now so I'm too late), what is the drive like? And which location would be best?

Hope someone can help. I've never posted on a forum before so sorry if I have rambled on a bit!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

Hi jpbs833 and welcome to the forum!

You do not need to drive 50 every day to get to the park. A good choice would be West Yellowstone, MT. It is located next to the western side of the park. I have not stayed there, but many have. Here is a link to TA members reviews of lodging there: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g45399-West_Yellowsto…

Going to Yellowstone is a great vacation. I am sure that other fourm members will have other great ideas for you. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

If you fly into Jackson Hole, you pretty much have to drive through Grand Teton National Park to get to Yellowstone. They're worth the trouble. Its a very nice drive. I don't know about Cody but its a pretty long drive.

Even though the park seems to be full, call Xanterra occasionally. You might get lucky on cancellations. If not, I agree that West Yellowstone seems to offer the best access to the park.

You'll still do a good bit of driving but you'll think its worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

West Yellowstone is at the West entrance. Gardiner is at the North entrance. Both have many places to stay. Also, Flagg Ranch resort is located just a couple of miles from the South entrance.

As stated, keep checking for cancellations in the park where you should stay if possible.

Good luck!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,630 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

You can stay in West Yellowstone and do the western part of the park, then travel to Cody and see the eastern part of the park, tour museums and see the rodeo, and then make your way back to Jackson Hole and see the Grand Tetons. We did West Yellowstone, Mammoth and Old Faithful and Grand Tetons to Jackson Hole last year. This year we are doing Mt. Rushmore, Cody, eastern part of Yellowstone and then thru Grand Tetons to Jackson Hole. Check Tripadvisor forums for places to stay. I used these recommendations last year and again this year.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

Thanks for those ideas. We are now looking at West Yellowstone which does seem much better.

We have about 14 days to spend there and would like to walk some trails, do some canoeing, rafting etc. as well as see the main sites of Yellowstone Park. If we stay in West Yellowstone for the whole time do you think we will have plenty to do? Or would we do better to split our time and move to the east side of the park for a few days too?

Appreciate your help with this. I'm really starting to plan it out now.

Thanks!

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

Welcome. You will egt sooo much valuable input here. I sure did!

Definately call Xanterra directly. Just today a friend of mine booked 1 room for 4 consecutive nights in one of the in-park lodging facilities. The web site said no availability..and this was for July!

Cody
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

I believe Jackson is alot more expensive and crowded than Cody. Cody has alot more to offer than West Yellowstone. There are places to stay between Cody (Cody is 50 miles from the east entrance) and Yellowstone - there is one place 2 miles from the east entrance. Check out www.yellowstonecountry.org.

If you want to stay in the park - all those reservations are made through Xanterra - 800-Geyserland.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

I suggest visiting Cody, depending on your interests. I've not see the rodeo there (or anywhere, for that matter), but the Museums are truly a wonderful surprise.

http://www.bbhc.org/home/index.cfm

We've driven both the NE and E entrances, to experience both roads; the former, the Beartooth Hwy., is fantastic, the other also quite nice, can't go wrong. You could do either of these, stay overnight in Cody, and return via the other road.

As others have said, keep trying Xanterra by phone; good luck happens...

If you like scenery, hiking, wildlife, et al., you won't get bored.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

Hi guys, Sorry I didn't reply with my thanks sooner but I lost track of the forum link.

We are about to set off on our Yellowstone Park trip. We ended up getting a house from VRBO called Elks Crossing just outside of the West entrance to the Park.

We're really excited now - must get going with the packing. Once again thanks for your help and advice.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning our trip - where can we stay?

I'm glad you were able to find something that suits your needs. We are in a VRBO right now in Estes Park and it has been an awesome expereince. I hope yours is as well.

You will love Yellowstone. Watch the animals' behaviors..just fascinating. I can't wait to go back and we just left there a week ago!

Have fun!