We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time going to Yellowstone

Chihuahua
2 posts
Save Topic
First Time going to Yellowstone

A bunch of friends are planing to have 1 week vacation in yellowstone.

so , if anyone can give an advise about which places we should visit (i.e, Jackson, Cody, Moamoth, Lamar Valley, canyon)and where to touchdown and then drive from there to yellowstone, where to stay.

we are looking for seightseen wildlife, specially bears, elks , bison and so forth

Thanks for any help and direction provided.

Daniel Gonzalez L.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,782 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time going to Yellowstone

When are you planning on going? Flying in and out of Jackson WY is the closest and allows you the most time in the area. Other than that, Billings is close and Salt Lake City is 5 hours away. You may be planning too late to get lodging inside Yellowstone. Visit www.travelyellowstone.com.

In one week you can spend 3 days in Jackson WY and 4 days in Yellowstone.

Read through the posts on this forum and also visit www.nps.gov/yell and www.nps.gov/grte for tons of information.

Chihuahua
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time going to Yellowstone

We are planning to go 3rd Week of July..

Several hotels in yellostone seem to be booked. Where can we stay close to yellowstone?

Thanks for the reply

Daniel G

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time going to Yellowstone

Hi Daniel,

You could stay in West Yellowstone, MT. It is located on the west border of the park.

Here is a link to TA members reviews of the lodging there and I think, contact information: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g45399-West_Yellowsto…

Enjoy your trip!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time going to Yellowstone

West Yellowstone will make a very convenient base for you, as it's right at the west entrance and very convenient to Old Faithful and the many other areas of Yellowstone. There are some chain hotels, along with privately owned ones, along with several restaurants. It's a small town atmosphere that we enjoyed, as it provides a few more amenities than staying in the park.

As others have said, you can split your time between Yellowstone & the Tetons. Jackson is a good base for the Tetons. 4-5 days in Yellowstone and 2-3 in the Tetons is about right. In West Yellowstone, we stayed at the Lazy G (very basic, clean accomodations--a bit dated, however), and in Jackson, I highly recommend the Buckrail Lodge. (buckraillodge.com)

You will see plenty of wildlife, particularly if you get an early start. Enjoy your trip!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time going to Yellowstone

First. let me give you some options on airports. There is a small airport in West Yellowstone that is open in July. It handles Skywest service connections from Salt Lake (Delta). Last year,a t times, it was cheaper to fly right into that airport (two miles from the west gate to Yellowstone) than Jackson Hole, WY. Another option is Bozeman, Montana (BZN) which is 100 miles of West Yellowstone and about an hour northwest of Gardiner/Mammoth. I wanted to mention these airports because many people don't know about them and sometimes they are much cheaper than Jackson Hole.

Wildlife watching in July is best done early in the morning and early evening. During the day, it is warm and the wildlife tends to stay where it is cooler, in the trees. Elk and bison will be feeding in large valleys (like Hayden and Lamar). Watch at night along the rivers as they come down from the hills.

Bears will be at higher altitudes but you might still spot one if you know where to go. Here is a link to an article that may help-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c4239/Yellowst…

If you go to the bottom of this web page, you will find articles on Yellowstone bighorn sheep, moose with ideas on where to spot them.

www.thebigskysun.com/section.cfm…

Don’t forget to do some geyser gazing! Here is a link to more information about that-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c10794/Yellows…

Suburb of San...
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time going to Yellowstone

Hi David,

We did our first Yellowstone trip last summer and it was awesome. I would try West Yellowstone as well for lodging. You can also check for cancellations in the park closer to your trip. While staying in the park was convenient, you can access many area of the park quickly from West Yellowstone. My theory is that the more you drive, the more chances for wildlife spotting. Early and late in the day is definitely the best. If you put in the effort you may well be rewarded. Definitely bring binoculars - they don't have to be really expenseive either. I outlined some of our experiences in a website about our trip that you might want to check out:

http://yellowstonetravel.s.googlepages.com

Have a great trip!

7. Re: First Time going to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 12:19