We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

Arizona
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

Hi,

We have never been to YNP and are looking at staying 3 nights/4 days in the park. We like to hike, horseback ride, and see the sights. We are looking at staying 2 nights @ one of the Old Faithful Lodges and 1 night @ Canyon Lodge. Or should we stay 2 night @ Canyon and 1 @ Old Faithful area? Or should we stay all 3 nights in location? What is the best way to see the park? Any other loding suggestion?

Thanks so much!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,781 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

When are you planning on visiting? If this summer, lodging is most likely booked.

You may enjoy a night at Old Faithful area, then 2 nights in Canyon.

Visit www.nps.gov/yell for more information and trip ideas. Also look through this forum, many, many trip ideas and itineraries.

Arizona
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

We are planning to be in the area from 6/25-7/3/09. Of that time we will spend 3 night/4days in the park.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

Many like that Canyon is centrally located and they like to stay there for that reason. OF is a beautiful historic place to stay and central to the geothermal areas. Try to decide what you want to do in the park. I would rather move to another place than do a lot of backtracking. YS is huge.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
742 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

On our last trip (June 08) we stayed one night at Lake Hotel and two nights Mammoth. Many people don't like Mammoth because it's not in the middle of everything, but that's why we love it. The cabins are perfect for small families. Just make sure you get one with a bathroom.

The Old Faithful area is very crowded all of the time. With the three lodges and many stores and services. Which is both good and bad. There's lots to do (good hikes, bike rentals, more choices for food) but there's also lots of people about.

Canyon is in a great central location, and my favorite area of Yellowstone. On our next trip we're thinking about staying there. The area is beautiful and there are lots of hikes around.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

I'd spend one night at the Old Faithful Inn if you can. Simply because its cool. I'd spend the rest of the time at Canyon becaue you have great access to the eastern side of the park from there.

houston texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

Roosevelt, Canyon, and Mammoth are the places in the park that offer horseback rides. Starting on 7/11, We spent 3 nights in Grand Teton, one night in Mammoth Inn, another at Old Faithful Inn, and 2 nights in Cody, WY. Grand Teton and Yellowstone are so big, it is hard to say where you should stay. Any time on the road is an opportunity to see wildlife and scenery. But you also have to deal with traffic and wildlife jams. The same goes for staying in one place for a few days, and hiking the trails. We saw grizzly bears 3 days in a row in Grand Teton. Another day,I got up at 4AM to try and see wolves in Lamar Valley. I was unsuccessful, but still enjoyed a beautiful morning. We also hiked Pelican Valley, no bears or moose, but bison and beautiful country. We saw a black bear on the road from Roosevelt to Mammoth for a few minutes, others saw the bear for alot longer. Canyon and Old Faithful were both very crowded while we were there, but in the early morning both Lamar Valley and Old Faithful were almost empty. Timing seems to be the key while in the park.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

We spent one night At Old Faithful Inn for the ambience and history. Although we had a room without bath, there was a washbasin in the room and the toilet was just round the corner down the hall and was no hardship.

Three nights were spent in a Western Cabin at Canyon Village. These were really beautiful and modern - ours had patio doors overlooking a wooden area. This was to be nearer to wildlife in Lamar and Hayden Valleys. Unfortunately Dunraven was closed during our stay so it didn't work out - but I can recommend the accommodation.

Two nights we spent at Lake Lodge in a Pioneer cabin which I would never do again. The location is wonderful, but the cabin left a lot to be desired.

In my opinion you need to lodge in different areas of the park to cut down the driving time and have more time for wildlife.

8. Re: 3 Nights in the Park-Which Lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 03:16